rob10000

FPV goes critical mass...

Everywhere, and I mean everywhere I go on many different forums today I see people talking excitingly about VRFlyer's videos. I guess they have been posted to many very popular sites, and it's spreading like wildfire.

If this thing ever reaches Slashdot we are in TROUBLE!

Everywhere, and I mean everywhere I go on many different forums today I see people talking excitingly about VRFlyer's videos. I guess they have been posted to many very popular sites, and it's spreading like wildfire.

If this thing ever reaches Slashdot we are in TROUBLE!

Why we are in trouble ?

The videos are very cool and have started to appear on non-R/C sites. Such as http://www.therawfeed.com/2006/09/vr-gear-...oolest-toy.html

Lots of non-R/C'ers are now interested in duplicating the FPV experience. I have mixed feelings about the new found interest. It might be best to operate "under the radar," since open publicity only reminds the FAA of what we are doing with video equipped model aircraft.

By the way, rc-cam.com membership enrollments have been very active over the last few days. I suspect that many are curious folks that have seen the videos.

Why we are in trouble ?

Once a site gets featured on Slashdot, one result can be the Slashdot effect...

The Slashdot effect is the term given to the phenomenon of a popular website linking to a smaller site, causing the smaller site to slow down or even temporarily close due to the increased traffic.

When it gets called a toy you know your in trouble, all the wrong people are getting involved.

The last thing I want is being lumped in with people that are just out for a laugh.

I just want to keep on doing what Im doing and not bother anyone else and I dont want them bothering me.

Terry

As an example of a slashdotish effect, the rc-cam web site had a link show up on hackaday.com a couple years ago. Within a day or two, the site's entire 50GB allocation of monthly bandwidth was used up (versus 1GB of normal daily BW). I fed the bandwidth overage costs with my credit card to keep things going. But eventually I had to quit since it became a financial burden. Then the rc-cam site went offline for several days in order for things to settle down.

I don't think this will be a problem with the latest videos since none point back here. Thank goodness. :)

Oho. Here I have the explanation of that big spike on yesterday's server traffic :blink:

No appearance in the referrers though (yet?) :unsure:

It jumped from a ~2Gb/day average to 8Gb... I've seen "worse", 10Gb the day I started hosting his big 96Mb Bromont video, which maintained at an average 5Gb/day for about one week.

That's true, I've also found some of my videos in totally unrelated places. I don't really post them at other places than my website or here though. It might indeed be better not to "shout too loud" in some "hostile" places... just read some of the comments on that page...

That was pretty funny once to find an article about our video goggles in a video shooting magazine, for use in difficult angle situations :lol:

Edit: I'm actually wrong, the page uses the Google Video version...

Edited by Kilrah

As an example of a slashdotish effect, the rc-cam web site had a link show up on hackaday.com a couple years ago. Within a day or two, the site's entire 50GB allocation of monthly bandwidth was used up (versus 1GB of normal daily BW). I fed the bandwidth overage costs with my credit card to keep things going. But eventually I had to quit since it became a financial burden. Then the rc-cam site went offline for several days in order for things to settle down.

I don't think this will be a problem with the latest videos since none point back here. Thank goodness. :)

I work a lot since 11 years on that project. I made beautifull videos and just want to show them, so I put myself these videos on differents forum. I was not anticipated this reaction...

Most of the time, I put a link to Google video, or Youtube video. I will verify soon everywhere to remove direct download link.

I hope this will not kill our hobby. No I think it will help us, we will see differents cie appear on the market, some regulation will appear, but soon or later someone should make videos like mine or KIlrah. the technology is at maturity now.

M. RC-cam, I will not add your link on my future video

The little rc-cam/forum link at the end of your video does not seem to have been noticed at all (I don't think many folks wait through the credits). The real bandwidth issues would come from a slashdot-ish web page that had a link directly to this site. That is what caused the shutdown when hackaday posted a link to a rc-cam project. Long story short, I don't expect any problems with site performance since no direct links have been published.

Lots of non-R/C'ers are now interested in duplicating the FPV experience. I have mixed feelings about the new found interest. It might be best to operate "under the radar," since open publicity only reminds the FAA of what we are doing with video equipped model aircraft.

I agree. It must be understood by those that attempt this that flying an RC aircraft can potentially be dangerous. This can also be compounded if flying via FPV, due to the lack of direct line of sight visuals. So it is important that all safety measures are followed.

BTW, calling it a "toy", as one person did on that website, is definitely a bad thing. I see visions of someone tossing one up in the air, with no thought for safety, flying over a busy highway, etc. You can imagine the consequences...

Edited by twinturbostang

No problem on my side regarding hosting, you can leave your links. I'd notify you in case there would be some problems, but except maybe a slashdot "attack" my servers would handle about anything. Your videos are on their "own" on the website's main server (only thing that eats bandwidth), with 120Gb/month. Last month reached 107Gb.

If that was too tight I could still move them to the other hoster my videos are on, with 1200Gb/month :)

Had to go that way this spring as the 120Gb would have been busted a couple of times following media / TV appearance...

Regarding our activity being known, I'm pretty sure it can depend a bit on the place. For now, everytime I go in a club, even where I don't know anyone, I get a warm welcome and a "Thanks for coming and showing this to us", most of the people having heard from us.

The problem is that some people outside the R/C community will be like "I want that too", get to it and do all sorts of stupid things you could expect. That sure is no toy. This can kill what you've taken years to achieve and make known.

Last saturday, I've met someone who had bought the full equipment a couple of months earlier. He told me he had never touched a plane before that, but at least went to a club where they knew about FPV even without having anyone parctising it, and they got him to learn to fly properly first. This way everything went and still evolves fine. I'm just scared of the few morons who have enough money to buy stuff without caring about what they do with it.

There will be a big article about FPV in the next release of the official Swiss air model federation's magazine, which will get out in about 3 weeks. It explains the concept of FPV flight, mainly from the "dream" perspective, not being a hassle of technical info. It clearly mentions that safety is the most important aspect, and that FPV can be just as safe as regular model flight if the same attention is given. I've already seen some really scary stuff with regular pilots on fields... :wacko:

Edited by Kilrah

A journalist of the bigger tv station here send-me an e-mail, I will perhaps on TV here. I will insist on the safety, IT MUST START IN RC CLUB FIRST.

Wahoo. Indeed, 20Gb transfer yesterday. Oh, and my 120Gb limit apparently just got upgraded to 500 :)

Actually "only" VrFlyer's google video got shown on digg...

http://www.digg.com/view/technology?s=plane

Which means that all this is only due to people checking the links in the credits... and could explain the busy activity here too :P

The first FPV video I saw was on June, it was a Vrflyer video I think one of the first with the easystar:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7...168661172723629

Someone post it in a r/c airplane spanish forum. The people posting in that topic were experienced enough to know that a r/c airplane is not a toy, and the danger it could have a fpv flight. Right now we have a complete spanish forum dedicated to fpv and we are 3 or 4 people involved all of us flying r/c for years. I think FPV is not more dangerous than a simple r/c airplane. You have to get to many things together to start even flying without fpv. The people who really likes this are going to do the same way as ever, going to the local club get everything ok, learn to fly and then star trying to get a video system together.

Like others we were very surprised of the number of visits we are getting in the begining of our new forum. And like MrCam´s said we´ve got many forum membership enrollments just to see some of our videos and pictures of our setups.

I can normally read the posts on this forum in a few minutes but it taking much longer today.

There seems to be the desire to fly an r/c aircraft the same as a pc flight sim game and as far away as posible.

I hope it dosent lead to any serious problems when it turn out to be a lot harder than buying a Playstation.

Maybe a page somewhere to give a more realistic idea of what can be done and how much it will cost.

Here in the UK an easy for the beginner legal setup would have the range of 1/4 mile or so and still suffer some dropouts. The cost of the TX, RX and monitor would set you back a couple of hundred pounds on top of the price of the plane. As the the range and functions required go up so dose the price and problems to be solved, there is no ultimate plug and play solution...Any crashes would also be very expensive !

If this sort of infomation was more availible from the start maybe it would help filter out the people that would be better off sticking with their flight sims ?

Terry

I think that the the complexity and the knowledge to get a good wireless system video ( good antena, etc, etc) is a natural filter to people that want fly FPV like a toy. That and the knowledge to flight a R/C model is another filter to those people that think FPV like a toy too. Nobody who can´t flight an R/C amodel can flight FPV.

For example, the beginner don´t flight F3M model for first time. And F3M models are so cool,,,

If someone want flight FPV without a knowledge in R/C, the airplane will not flight more than 15 mts B) ,,,,, So i believe that it is not necessary to worry.

About the growth of the servers traffic, I put severals video,s links in my site www.aeromodelismovirtual.com ( spanish) linked to Kilrah and rc-cam sites

I said expressly in the site that those videos are from rc-tech and rc-cam sites, but if you want, i can remove them ;)

If FPV become "popular" I think that FPV comunity will go out winning, is my opinion.

Sergio

Edited by sergio00

I guess folks have seen the site address in the video's credits. Starting on Sep 25, rc-cam bandwidth has gone up 5X. If this keeps up, the site may consume its monthly allocations and will go offline.

Quite a few FPV tire kickers are lurking in the various R/C web forums. From what I can tell, many are PC gamers that want to kick things up a notch. Once they realize how difficult and expensive this hobby is, I suspect things will go back to normal.

Edit: Now I see why there is a large number of visitors here. The sites {like Diggs} that host the FPV video now have links to here. This might get ugly, so please bare with any rc-cam site issues that may occur over the next couple of weeks.

Edited by Mr.RC-Cam

I found this website through digg.com, but i have been messin with rc since I was a little kid. Ever since I started flying my raptor 30 I wanted to mount a cam on it and fly fpv. I would make use of all the extra traffic and add some ads to the site to fund some new projects. Adsense isn't to intrusive and works real well.

digg.com

Sadly, things are getting out of control and bandwidth consumption continues to rise. The main problem is that the folks that have seen the FPV videos are now adding comments to the videos that direct others to this site. Also, many of the web based forums that discuss the video now also link to here.

I have considered IP blocking, but that is a very last resort and will only be done if things go critical. Long story short, if the traffic does not settle down, the rc-cam site may temporarily go off line sometime in Oct. So, please be patient while we weather the storm.

-AT-Mr.RC-Cam: You could always move the videos to a restricted user area that only members who pay the yearly subscription fee of, I don't know, say $5, have access to. You could give the people who post videos access for free.

The people who want to get more publicity, could just put their videos on one of the free video sites that doesn't have bandwidth restrictions.

I for onw would be happy to pay for this kind of service.

Anyway just an idea. I know I would hate to loose access to this site at anytime, but I am also patient. :D

Thanks for the idea. But, the FPV videos that are involved are not hosted here. It's the excitement from the masses, having seen the R/C FPV world for the first time via those new cool videos, that has caused the traffic here. Once they visit this forum (links to rc-cam are posted along with the videos), they also visit the main project site. A huge amount of bandwidth is consumed as the visitors click away. Things will settle down in a couple of weeks, or so I hope.