Sign in to follow this  
docphi

Inspire Micro GPS

I'm using the Micro GPS unit that is available for the Inspire system. I'm not using the Inspire system at the moment. The GPS unit does not display the altitude and speed accurately. The data is way off. Any one have any ideas? It seems as if the GPS can't keep up with the R/C plane.

I find that speed is dead on. Keep in mind that the native data is in knots, so you'll probably want to have your host convert it to mph or kph.

Altitude is the most difficult measurement for any GPS Rx. Expect +/- 15 meter accuracy on average, even with WAAS enabled. By the way, WAAS is disabled by default. If you wish to use it, your host will need to send the special binary commands to the EM-406.

Thanks for everyone's patience with a noobie. Could someone tell me what the command sentences would be to have the EM-406 output feet and mph? I'm slowly learning the ropes and not having much luck. I'm more of a solder jockey! :D

Could someone tell me what the command sentences would be to have the EM-406 output feet and mph?

Sadly, there are no commands for data conversion. The typical GPS module Rx is designed for OEM applications where the host microcontroller does the conversions. Long story short, you'll need more hardware (microprocessor board) and some software to do U/M conversions.

Ahhh yes! It all makes sense now. A little Google searching always helps. Why reinvent the horse? I should just buy the Inspire!

I should just buy the Inspire!

That would be a brilliant idea. Why didn't I think of that. :)