cfe7

Can anyone recomend products for FPV?

Hello and greeting from Northern Norway!

I'm really impressed with everything you people have achieved with your knowledge.

I live in Bodoe in Northern Norway, have 22 years experience in RC modelling and just started with RC-cam.

I need some advice on the equipment you use.

Black Widow has already delivered my camera (KPC 650), TX (3W) and RX.

What I need/want is VR-glasses with head tracking (pan, tilt), overlay card, GPS navigation with altimeter and speed sensor.

I want the best equipment. Money is (almost) not a topic here.

Can anyone tell me about state of the art equipment?

PS! I could also use more links to see how you solved details in your planes (wiring, eliminate vibration, hook up of the glasses and RC TX, overlay card, etc)

Thank you for helping out new people!

Hello and greeting from Northern Norway!

I'm really impressed with everything you people have achieved with your knowledge.

I live in Bodoe in Northern Norway, have 22 years experience in RC modelling and just started with RC-cam.

I need some advice on the equipment you use.

Black Widow has already delivered my camera (KPC 650), TX (3W) and RX.

Thank you for helping out new people!

3W tx, have you intention to go to the moon :)

I don't encourage long distance flight, what you will do if the video fail ?

Also doubles as a portable Microwave, in case you get hungry. :D

Exact, you power up and go back few feet before begeinning to feel heat inside.

3W :o

How much power dose that take ?

I would end up with my video flight on every TV with wireless link for miles around :P

Terry

Don't worry. The TX is powefull yes (it consumes 1,2 Ah) but it will not be used for long distance flights. I will fly less than 1000 ft away horizontally and up to max 3000 ft height.

Also remember that I come from an arctic area. We aren't so many people or TV-sets to disturb up here.

Edited by cfe7

I work for the CAA here, so I'd better stay on the right side of the law

Edited by cfe7

Don't worry. The TX is powefull yes (it consumes 1,2 Ah) but it will not be used for long distance flights. I will fly less than 1000 ft away horizontally and up to max 3000 ft height.

Also remember that I come from an arctic area. We aren't so many people or TV-sets to disturb up here.

Well, you definitely don't need that much power then. There are several people running the Black Widow 600mW systems out to over a mile away. 3W is just way too much power for what you want to do. And in some cases, depending on your location, it may actually hinder you if multipathing becomes an issue.

Another reason we are obsessing with the unusually high RF power is because it burdens the installation with high current draw, a good amount of heat (perhaps useful in your arctic environment :) ), and can cause EMI/RFI interference hardships. Given the range you mentioned you desire, a 200mW to 600mW video Tx would have been a more common choice.

With your high powered Tx you should consider using a very large model so that the Tx and its antenna can be far away from the other onboard electronics. Also, keep close proximity RF exposure away from your eyes.

As far as wiring, it may be worth your time to browse all the old discussions (there's a bit of everything scattered here). Each installation is different, so there is no standard wiring scheme. That means you'll have to devise your own installation. For good success, do not share the video power source with the R/C electronics, and keep video gear away from your R/C equipment (wiring and all).

The camera TX and RC RX will be almost 1,6 m away from each other. The plane has plenty of capasity to carry batteries.

I plan to have one camera in the cocpit, and one in a radome under the fuselage operatet by a second RC-set and operator.

Hey with 3W you can melt the snow as you fly :lol:

Joking aside it will be good to see your video.

Terry

The camera TX and RC RX will be almost 1,6 m away from each other. The plane has plenty of capasity to carry batteries.

I plan to have one camera in the cocpit, and one in a radome under the fuselage operatet by a second RC-set and operator.

There is a guy on RCUniverse.com that goes by the name of JettPilot and he is using a 5W Tx system. He had a lot of problems with interference with the RC receiver due to the proximity and power of the video Tx. He mounted them FAR apart (6 to 8 feet maybe). And even then, he found that a lot of the available receivers did not have proper notch filters to remove the unwanted RF. So just make sure you do a proper range check and look for ANY kind of interference.

Oh, he has some videos up on RCUniverse. You might look for them also. Pretty cool stuff.

Edited by twinturbostang

I've tested the range of my RC now. A PT 60 serves as a test rig for my camera an TX (until my new video platform is ready).

My plane, a friend and a mobile telephone was placed on top of a hill while I went to the next hill. At 2 km distance I had almost no servojitter and crystal clear video pictures.

The high output of the TX doesn’t seem to bother the RC to much at this range.

Plenty more range tests will be performed before I take the plane into the air.

Edited by cfe7

Sounds like your very lucky, I had problems when I tryed a 500mW TX so I never use more than 100mW now, I only use 10mW most of the time.

Terry

Well, the first video is ready. This was just a test of camera position and platform.

The conclution is that the Diablotin Micro is not suited for vido production in heavy wind :angry:

The camera is a Aiptek PenCam, so the quality of the video would never be great anyway. As I said, just a test.

You can find the video here: VIDEO

Click at the words "Last Ned Film" (Norwegian text means "download video").

Well, the first video is ready. Click at the words "Last Ned Film" (Norwegian text means "download video").

Ok this is your first film, not the the last film of Ned, just to be sure :)

Seriously, you have a beautifull field for FPV, I would like to fly there low between the dunes, and go higher and see on one side ocean, and other the mountain. Perhaps I have take a look to fast, but it look awesome :)

Defiinitively, you need better camera for us to be able to joy of the view :)

I will certainly do more tests with better cameras and better airplanes.

This first video was made with a simple camera and a small funfly (90 cm wingspan) in heavy wind. In other words not the best conditions for a good video.

Right now I have the Aiptek PenCam, KPC650 from Black Widow (with 3W TX), a 200 mW system and I plan to buy the KX 131 with 600 mW TX from Black Widow next month.

Today the weather is just beautiful. Clear skies and almost no wind. I plan to use a 90 size patternplane with the PenCam after work. This aircraft is steady and wery fine as a camera platform. If we're lucky I'll have a link to a new video ready tomorow

hecko!

I´m planning to buy a complete Kit (Immersion X10, www.rc-tech.ch)

The transmitter has got only 10mW. Even more is not allowed in Germany. Do you think that is enough?

I think Kilrah you are flying the same aren´t you? Or did you modify you system?

Greetings from Germany

Ole

Edited by Physioflieger

Nope I'm using it as is. More than enough IMO. I'd not want to go further than 1km anyway :)

I've heard that if you wait a couple more weeks before ordering you'll have a camera mount too ;)

I've heard that if you wait a couple more weeks before ordering you'll have a camera mount too ;)

Now that's exciting news.... I'm not enjoying trying to make my own. :lol:

Anyway I have to wait some more weeks. Is a lot of money for me.... ;)

So that fits perfectly!

Thanks for the information!

First I was thinking of buying all the stuff separately. But in any way the price is higher an then I have to adjust all to each other :unsure:

Great news!

New video.

Wednesday afternoon I was ready for a new video session. After 14 different tests with my wireless setup I felt confident to take my aircraft into the air.

My TX is 3W, but there was no interference with my RC.

Still I have things to improve. My RX antenna could be better, focus on the camera was not optimal, the mounting angle of the camera should be adjusted and my engine needs retuning (2 dead stick landings).

But luckily my skill as a video editor improves day by day

It’s a long video and if you take time to watch all of it you will find pictures of my aircraft in the end.

You can download the video from this site for a limited period:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EFXCS68B

Woo :o

First thing, put that TX antenna vertically! With a vertical RX antenna you're cross-polarised most of the time.

Other than this the place is nice :)

I believe te camera has a very wide angle lens... the impression you get when diving for sure is weird. It seems like if you were at 500m high, and came back to the ground in 10 seconds :blink:

Woo  :o

First thing, put that TX antenna vertically! With a vertical RX antenna you're cross-polarised most of the time.

Thank you for your advice Kilrah.

I will try to reposition my antenna later today.

I've also got the low profile disc antenna from Black Widow (BW), http://www.blackwidowav.com/astrondisk.html.

Do you know if I would gain anything by using it on my TX?

I hope to get better signals if I buy the Circular Polarized Patch Antenna

from BW.

And that thing about 500 m high, and came back to the ground in 10 seconds.........I really overspeeded my engine so much that it stopped. I was high up there, and it could have been 10 seconds down to Terra Firma. I don't know for sure

Edited by cfe7

Ookay, that was no impression then!

I have no experience with that antenna, but apart from the look it won't improve much. Anyway, with 3W you have much more than far enough to get something decent ;)

A more directional RX antenna could be good to try narrowing the field and catch less of the multipathing that could be created by such a powerful TX in its environment. The short drops you get make me think it's the main issue.

Oh, another thing, try to fix your TX in a more vibration-proof way. The faint white horizontal lines you get must come from this.

Edited by Kilrah