Can anyone recomend products for FPV?

• 3 weeks later...
Nope I'm using it as is. More than enough IMO. I'd not want to go further than 1km anyway :)

I've heard that if you wait a couple more weeks before ordering you'll have a camera mount too ;)

Do you mean that 10mw is enough for up to 1km?

I´m choosing what to buy to start FPV and I thought 500mw is the min to be safe <_<

Yes you can get 1km with 10mW but it takes a good receiver setup. I can do it with a 14db patch and my pre-amp but for most I would reccomend 100mW. It all depends on what you expect, it you want zero dropouts when your doing aerobatics at 1km then you will never have enough power.

Terry

I've gone many times to 1km with 10mW and a 8dBi patch. If you need good reliability and range I'd personally recommend 200mW. I've had R/C interference problems with 500mW, and that starts to drain the batteries too...

I second the interference with the 500mW TX as I had the too. I know some people are using that and more but for me it reduced the range of my R/C to about 400m.

Im impressed you got 1km with an 8db patch Kilrah, I can do it but suffer some bad dropouts :(

Terry

Many thanks for the replies

For up to 2km do you think would be enough 200mw with the stock tx and rx antenas?

I would like to use omnidirectional antenas, at least at the beginning. Some dropouts are better than loosing video signal, and that´s something less to worry about while I´m learning to fly fpv.

But I´m not sure if that a good idea, do you think I´d have to go with patch antenas from the begining?

Sorry but omni aerials are not a good idea for the receivers. Range would be poor and a high risc of multipath interference would be likely.

200mW into the stock aerial for the TX and an 8dbi patch for the receiver should give you what you want. Aiming dose not have to be spot on with an 8dbi patch.

Terry

Just had another look at their site and they mount the patch looking up so maybe thats where they get the 360deg idea, but still misleading. If it is a circular polarised patch then it will work quite well this way for close or high overhead flying but they lack info.

Terry

My story I repeat everytime someone thinks they need more and more power is that using a 15dB Omni I received video over 15 miles away from a full-scale airplane. The full scale had a 1 watt transmitter with a standard 2dB rubber duck antenna on it.

The more power you put out, the more you multi-path, the more you interfere with yourself, the more you need my diversity receiver!

Matt