Sign in to follow this  
coolitdown40

Multiplex TwinStar II

I'm about to order the Multiplex TwinStar II and am looking for the correct servos and motors/speed controllers I'll need. I'm going to use this instead of the EasyStar, I'll let you know how it works out when I get everything together. I found http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/240071.asp to be the cheapest and they have a $25 off if you spend $200 or more so I was wondering if anyone could tell me if any of there Brushless Hacker motors would work GOOD, not well but good http://www.hobbypeople.net/prdcls/motord01.asp. Also, which of these Mini servos would work, if any, http://www.hobbypeople.net/prdcls/servb01.asp.

I've been flying gas planes for ~10yrs now and see you guys have a pretty sweet thing going with the electric video and I've always wanted to give that a try. I'd greatly appreciate any help ya'll can offer?

post-5-1159560140_thumb.jpg

Edited by coolitdown40

I use the Twinstar 2 but I warn you its hard to get all the extra gear inside it. The old Twinstar was far easier.

Terry

No its a new plane to me, I got it because of the sucess I had with the old Twinstar. Ive had to build a whole new front end to get all the stuff in. I hope to do some testing next week if the weather lets me but theres a huge low pressure in the Atlantic feeding us wind and rain here in the UK.

Terry

I have a TwinStar II also, that I'm currently working on fitting up with a pan/tilt camera system. I also have plans to add a digital still camera to the nose for aerial photography.

I'm currently running mine with the stock motors/props, a 2 cell 4200 lipo and the ElectriFly C-35 ESC. I forget the AUW, but before camera gear, I believe it was somewhere around 40 oz, which is a full 13 oz less than the advertised weight. Those lipo's make a huge difference. It can fly really slow, is very stable and floats really good, so I imagine it could handle quite a bit more weight. You may want to look into getting two 400 sized brushless motors though. With the stock motors and 2 cell lipo, it doesn't have great thrust/speed. With camera gear onboard, I'd want a bit more power, for one of those "just in case" moments.

The airframe can handle much more weight if you dont do aerobatics. Mine has digital camera,nose video camera, video TX, Vizion OSD, PDC10, Geko GPS, Co-Pilot, UHF R/C. The digital camera has its own battery as dose the video system and the UHF has its own too. Its powered by a pair of AXI2808/20 brushless motors and 3 cell 5200 LiPo. Its early days and I am still only doing close in flights but I hope to do some longer ones soon.

Terry

Thank you, I planned on adding supports to the wings even though I'm only planning on adding a video system to this plane. I want to do flights with it that are atleast 30 min long and a mile away so I'm going to have to figure something out. I was thinking a 600mW Tx for the plane and maybe a diversity Rx one day...

Terry, what are the right servos that a are need for this plane?

The plane has molded positions for the servos and snakes but I have not used these. I mounted both servos in the tail. 1, to help keep some weight at the rear. 2, its more direct. 3, It woud be hard to fit them in the front as I have a removable front end. Any mini servo will fit.

30min flight are easy, I did them with my old plane fitted with far more than you plan to carry. Check out this page from my site Here

Terry

coolitdown40: You should not need to add a wing support. There is a HUGE graphite tube that joins the wings together and runs out 2/3 of the way on each wing. It is super sturdy. I used regular GWS micro servos and they seem to be fine. Something with stronger gears might be better though. I think I might have stripped one of them slightly when accidentally bumping the control surface.

I want to thank you guys for being so helpful. I've got almost everything together now but still a few questions left.

As for brushless motors, I'd like to get a good quality one that I won't have any problems with and get nice efficiency out of, any suggestions?

Also, servos for camera. Would mini servos be enough to move a nose mounted camera on 2 axles?

And finally, I need to get a high quality Rx on the plane for long distance flight. Any recommendations?

The motors I used must be my best choice :rolleyes:

Yes mini servos are fine just try to make sure they are set on the camera C of G and they will move even BIG camaras.

I dont use 72Mhz RX so I cant help here much. If your going to use a stablisation system then I hear the RX with Co-Pilot is good.

Terry

As for brushless motors, I'd like to get a good quality one that I won't have any problems with and get nice efficiency out of, any suggestions?

I was thinking of going with two of the 400F motors: http://www.justgofly.com/tech400F_DD.htm You can also get them from rc-dymond.com I have one on my GWS E-Starter and it works great with the 6x4 prop and 3S lipo. Was thinking that two of them might work pretty good on the TwinStar.

And finally, I need to get a high quality Rx on the plane for long distance flight. Any recommendations?

I have the FMA FS8 Co-pilot I am going to be using on mine. My Twinstar is going to be dual purpose... video and aerial photography. I am going to have the video out of my Nikon 7900 fed to a video switch, along with my KX-131 camera. This will allow me to switch over and frame shots perfectly (no guessing if I got the shot I needed). So the co-pilot will stabilize the plane while I'm looking "through" the still camera.

I guys, I'm new here,

Saw the TS-II in this forum and called my attention.

I've done some basic AV using my Digital camera.

This a video from my TS-II

Right click on the and Save Target as... (helps downloading)

http://www.aerialview.us/TSsunset5_HighRes.wmv

TS-II stock

Battery 4400 7.4v

AUW = 42oz.

TS-II flying:

http://www.aerialview.us/TS-2-DF.wmv

Thank you,

Derick

www.aerialview.us