Sign in to follow this  
KeithLuneau

2.4GHz WiFi interference with 1.2GHz system?

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, move to proper area if necessary.

I've been flying my 1.2GHz Hong Kong setup the past few days, and at first got really good results after some tweaks. I posted a video of that too. Today I flew again with no changes to the camera setup, but I was recording with my laptop this time, rather than my PVR. I noticed that I had noticably more dropouts, and more trouble tuning the receiver. I just realized that it could have been the wireless card in the laptop causing this. What puzzles me though, is that it operates on 2.4GHz and the camera on 1.2, or 1.16 actually. I'm not sure if this is what was causing it, but the patch antenna was just feet away from the card in the laptop. I fly in my back yard, and it's nice to be able to transfer the video fiels right from the bench outside to my desktop inside, but if necessary I can pull the card out next time.

I was just curious if it's possible for the 2.4GHz 802.11b card to mess with the 1.2GHz reciever while in close proximity.

Edited by KeithLuneau

Were both flights from the same location? And was the receiver in the same spot/orientation?

I guess the easiest thing to do, is take your laptop out and record with it, but this time disable or turn off the wifi and see if that makes a difference or not. Even better would be to fly 1/2 of the flight with it on, and then have a friend turn the wifi off while still in flight. An immediate change in reception quality would be a sure indicator that it is interfering.

I flew again today, with the antenna in the same location as the previous flights, but without the laptop. I recorded with a small PVR and had very little dropouts, and no problem tuning the reciever and keeping it there. It's definately something with the laptop or the capture device I'm using with it. I'll test next time without the wireless card in it and see what happens.