sheesh-kebab

software-based diversity receiver?

Anyone know of any software that would perform functions similar to the diverisity video receiver?

I know blacwidowav.com sells a hardware solution - "Diversity 2.4 Receiver" - but I thought that technically it should be possible to hookup a couple of vanilla video receivers to a laptop in the field (via say 2 PCMCIA TV cards) and achieve a cleaner picture using some form of software video muxer. Then the clean picture could be fed via s-video/composite video out to VR goggles or recorded directly on the laptop.

With a PC-based solution the main problem is that you usually will have a delay in the processing line. Also, the lack of RSSI signal used in a hardware solution would mean complex image processing to determine which one is the best.

Keep in mind that real-time image processing uses a lot of computing power. Recording one stream in decent quality MPEG-2 used ~80% of processor power on my 1.5GHz centrino. You'd need a brand new dual core hardware to handle 2 recordings, not speaking of the image processing yet.

well, MPEG video encoding/compression is definitely something that is very resource intensive. However, I'm not really sure whether the performance hit would be that dramatic if the video "clean-up" happened on the raw audio/video input, with the follow on direct "pass through" to playback, bypassing MPEG all together..

I wonder whether there is any software capable of doing something like this to try it out...

I have never heard of software to do what you want and personally I like to keep computers out of the link as much as possible. It makes much more sense to do the job directly and keep wires and therefor potetial problems to a minimum. Why run a large computer with complicated software if it can be done with a few lines on a PIC ?

Terry

being a software engineer, to me it's actually simpler to handle computer based stuff than dealing with custom electronic modules and equipment.

Plus I think it might be not such a bad idea anyway since (theoretically I guess) one could build up a very low cost n-diversity receiver limited only by the power of cpu on a laptop and the bandwidth of the input/output bus. Not too mention that anyone else who has a laptop and basic computer skills (most of the folks currently) could do the same...

OK, well thats the great thing about this hobby, you can try anything you believe will work. You may well be on to something who knows, I will be interested in your results if you try it. Its good to hear other peoples opinions, it helps us keep an open mind.

Terry

It can be done, you just need a device to convert the RSSI into usable data that the computer can compare. A uC with rs232 interface and a com port enabled PC and you should be able to figure out the rest.

So, you still need some hardware. And then you'd need 2 or more video capture cards.

Or get one of those multi-input capture cards that are made for security recording. Some have 4, 8 or even 16 video inputs and do all the encoding by hardware up to a few hundred frames per second.

But here's the problem: hardware encoders usually use buffers, thus introduce a delay. For FPV flight you couldn't allow more than 2 frames lag.

Edited by Kilrah

yeah, something like that - I found some el cheapo ($99) Adaptec dual channel pvr box (http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=201962145&loc=101&sp=1)

- it has 2 A/V inputs, hardware encoding and USB2.0 interface. The thing to try now is to find/write a filter program that would merge 2 feeds and either play the merged feed back and/or record it...

If not for VR flying, this thing could be used for recording higher quality videos...

If you just want higher quality videos then you can use a micro recorder on board, no dropouts !

I you just want to try it to see if it can work thats another matter. ;)

Terry