Sign in to follow this  
philthyy

camera mounted behind the plane?

I have this project I'm just starting. I am going to mount my wireless CCD about four feet behind my Slow Stick on three carbon fiber tubes. It will be slightly higher than the top of the rudder, and looking forward and slightly down. This way I will be able to see the entire plane as I fly, wingtip to wingtip. This view is one of my favorites in flight sims on my computer, as it lets me really understand my planes attitude in relationship to the ground. Anybody have any ideas, comments, or suggestions about this?

yeah, I thought of that. Also, wind drag might be an issue. My camera probably only weighs about two ounces, so its not such a heavy weight back there that I have to offset. Also, I have this massive 4.2 ounce brushless motor up front(E Flight Power 10) and a heavy three cell 2000mah Lipo up there. I have had to mount my three cell 830mah Lipo for the camera system pretty far back on the fuselage for the camera's normal position to balance right, which is on a spar across the landing gear in the front of the plane, so now I figure I'll just move the small battery farther forward. Should still be able to get correct CG. I hope.

Ok, I've soldered up the extensions to the video TX and camera. Waiting on a trip to the hobby store tomorrow to get the carbon fiber tubes. I am worried that the camera might sway around or bounce around, but I suppose three carbon fiber tubes should be more than stiff enough. The thing is, I don't know what the video will look like due to a "see saw" effect when the plane changes attitude because the camera will be mounted so far behind the plane that every motion will result in a large motion for the camera.

A friend of mine did the same, but putting the camera in front of the plane. You get to see it entirely too, really nice.

He did it on a very light foamy and didn't have problems. Of course, the camera's battery was in the tail though :)

You mean the camera was facing backwards? Hmm, that seems like a bad idea...I need to see where I'm going, not where I've been. LOL.

I might have omitted that wasn't meant for FPV flying, he just wanted a nice video ;)

BTW, on one of my Moviestar flights where I'd thrown 4 cams on the thing, I had one facing backwards. Had some fun switching cams in flight and flying for about 2 mins looking backwards... The plane is stable, so you very quickly get used to it ;)

Here's some video, there's a cam on the tail too and I agree that it's the esaiest way to make good landings :lol:

http://www.rctech.ch/videos/Divers/rc-tech...iestar_4cam.wmv

One thing I still have a very hard time with is flying inverted. There's no problem in flying itself, but I can't seem to find my way and know where I am :angry:

Some more practice needed... :unsure:

At least, I know my Katana flies exactly the same inverted than in normal flight, no trimming required. Already a good start in getting confident.

Edited by Kilrah

VERY cool video! I like the music, but don't understand the language. Oh well. You ever heard of the hard rock group called Rammstein? They jam! Yeah, I like the tail camera but mine will be a bit higher than that and looking down on the plane, and farther back so I can see more of the plane. I can see how if your plane is nice and stable you could fly while looking backward, but I can also see myself having weak knees the whole time doing it! LOL! I guess if I was high enough it wouldn't be so scary, but if I was somewhat low I would be worried about running into something.

Thanks! Yes, for sure I know Rammstein... have all their albums :P

Yes, I guessed so by your explanation. I took the easy way and simply taped the cam on the rudder... I haven't even used the 120° lens on that one.

Haha, it's not so hard, just invert those rudder and elevator ;)

I'm just angry at the moment, I'm looking through the window, we finally have some beautiful weather, zero wind, clean air for awesome contrasts... but my recording gear is in a friend's car :angry:

Its the middle of the night here, and so I'm really hoping for some calm clear weather tomorrow. Especially since its so beautiful here in the fall...I really want to see the whole spectrum of colors of the trees from the air. Man I hope its not windy tomorrow! I really wish I had a good CCD instead of this cheapy that came with my setup that I bought a couple years ago. At least its a CCD instead of a CMOS, which I think are basically useless. What a bummer that your recording gear is not with you! Did you just forget it in his car?

Nope, we had a stand showing our stuff in a public presentation yesterday evening. Have to redo the whole thing tomorrow and didn't want to bother sorting the stuff, just left most of it in the car. I wasn't expecting such conditions inbetween :(

I think I'll go the egoistic way and just fly for myself without recording this time :P

Just that he also has my headtracker... I'll have to make another one :angry:

I do love fall colors. Last year, I was going for my 2 flights every evening at sunset. You can't ever be tired of seeing this :)

Ok. I mounted the camera about two and half feet behind the plane on two carbon fiber rods. It was a bit tricky to balance out but I managed to do it without adding weight. The problem was the camera wobbled side to side alot during flight, and it wasn't really far enough behind the plane to get the view I was looking for. I couldn't put it any farther behind the plane without adding lots more carbon fiber rods to stiffen it and adding weight, so I went back to under the wing facing forward view, which is my favorite view so far. As soon as I figure out how to post video's and pictures I'll upload them for everybody to see the setup and how the video turned out.

Had some fun switching cams in flight and flying for about 2 mins looking backwards... The plane is stable, so you very quickly get used to it ;)

Next step is to use reverse prop...

I agree Kilrah, autumn with all the leaf changing color is awesome. Luckily today it was beautifull, the first day since several weeks, I go the the Laurentide region and record videos, this one will be very beautifull, beleive me :)

I flew yesterday and it was beautiful! I love flying in the fall! I was out over a lake a couple times, which is kinda new to me, and the water looks really neat from above. It was a perfect day for flying. Almost no wind and bright and sunny and 65 degrees. Awesome! I even brought up a full size Fuji 4.3 mega pixel digital camera and snapped some shots. They really turned out nice. I love it!

I have to admit to being kinda an internet noobie. Thats why I've been reading this site almost daily for years but usually don't post much. I don't even know how to post pics and vids...but I have this week off from work so I am planning on going to my brothers house and he can show me. unless you guys could walk me through it here? Is it easy?