I've been flying and old Hobby Shack "Schoolboy .09" that was converted to electric power for a while. While it served me well, it was a bit underpowered and heavy. The weight was nice on windy days, it penetrated well, but I was ready to move on. I started looking around at what's a vailable and couldnt find anything really suited to what I wanted. Then I started looking at what I had here already. I had a Slowstick that had seen better days, and needed another tail. Those foam ones aren't much to look at to begin with, much less once they've been broken and repaired a few times. :) I had a Dynaflite Piece O' Cake kit that I started buiding a while back and lost intrest in. The main reason I bought that kit was for the wing. I've got a scratch buuilt glider that was built to almost the exact specs of the POC, and needs a wing. I'll probably finish the wing and give it to that plane later. Anyway, back to the video plane. I've always wanted to fly an ultralight, it just look so fun flying out in the open with no distractions. So, I decided to build something that resembled and ultralight. I used the Slowstick Fuselage and plastic parts. I built up the tail from the POC kit, on a piece of basswood stick that would slide snugly into the aluminum fuselage. It slides 3" into the back, allowing me to run two bolts through the fuselage and the stick to hold it on, and easily remove the tail for whatever reason, storage, hauling around in my car, or to swap the tail out for a different one if I decide to. I used the Slowstick wing for now, though I'm looking at alternatives, and the Stevens Aero SoarStik wing looks nice. I soldered up some music wire to form a "cockpit" cage underneath. I then added a seat, floorboard, and some guages. The camera hangs down from the aluminum channel, over the seat for a "pilots view."

I flew it for one flight a couple of days ago, and it flys great! It's so stable and slow, almost crawling across the sky. It's a great platform for video, as I can watch my display and look around, watch cetain landmarks as I fly over, and not worry about the plane getting out of hand. Power is a Super 400 Cobalt motor in a GWS EPS-400 "D" gearbox, with an 11x4.7 APC prop, Kontroniks Sun3000 30 amp ESC which I love, and 7 KAN 1400mAh cells. It'll get airborne in 10-15 feet, and climbs out great. It likes to putt around at about 1/3-1/2 throttle.

I'm so happy with how it turned out. I almost hate to get rid of the Slowstick wing, it flies too good, but a built up balsa wing would be nice I think. I might just wait and see how this one holds out.

So, on to the good part... :)

post-8-1160289177_thumb.jpg

Edited by KeithLuneau

Interesting plane, do you have a pilot for those controls ?

Terry

Nope, but it was suggested that I add one with the camera in place of it's head! lol

Here's something similar to what I had in mind when building...

post-8-1160293966_thumb.jpg

Well, I decided on a wing to replace the Slow Stick one. I built the Piece O' Cake wing, but clipped it from 72" down to 60", and built it with just dihedral, no polyhedral. The way it sits fully loaded, it's got 510 sq. inches of area and weighs 33.1oz. That gices me a wing loading of about 9.35oz/sq. foot. Not too bad. I'm guessing that with the better airfoil and higher aspect wing it'll penetrate the wind better and glide longer with the motor off. I had to shift a little bit of stuff around to make it all fit and to get the CG right. The good part though, is that this AUW is including the camera, pan/tilt servos, second receiver, and the battery for the video stuff. I didn't weigh it without the video stuff, but I'm betting that this plane could also double as a nice AP plane with a power upgrade. I'm using a Wattage Super Cobalt 400 on a 3:1 GWS gearbox now that hauled the Slow Stick wing around very nicely, but a good brushless motor and lithium ploymer batteries would be a welcomed upgrade. :)

On a side note, I picked up one of the cheap CCD cams from Supercircuits againt others advise. I figured it HAS to be better than the CMOS camera I had, and for $40 it's worth a shot even if it ends up getting stuck on a boat or a tank or something. I can always find a use for a spare camera. :) I'm happy to say that it seems to do quite well outside in the sunlight, and handles indoor light just fine. As soon as I get some cells in to make up the 12V pack for it I'll be able to fly it and see what it does.

Anyway, here's some pictures of the new setup...

post-8-1161299260_thumb.jpg

Edited by KeithLuneau