Terry

Eye-Trek PSU

I have just got some Eye-Trek glasses and they require 7.5v input. Dose anyone know if it can take more than that and if so how much more ?

Thanks, Terry

A 2s lipo should be OK. I was using a set of FMD200 like this with no problem.

Just don't forget that the battery indicator doesn't work when powering from the DC input, so there's no low battery warning before shutdown... keep your batteries charged ;)

OK Kilrah thanks for the tip. Would it be better to connect them to the battery input on top ?

Terry

Out of interest, when you plug power into the battery connector instead of the PSU input it uses additional circuitry to monitor the power level and when it gets too low it'll display some sort of battery low warning (I forget the full details).

I've just used a standard 7.2v sub C cell nicad pack to power my Eye-Trek glasses with using the normal PSU socket and haven't encountered any serious problems (apart from the immense power drain compared to my iTheater that runs on 2x AA).

Thanks, I was just wondering if it was ok to connect a 2cell LiPo to the battery connectors ?

Terry

That's what is in the standard battery... so I guess that should work ;)

Thats what I was hoping, its just I was a bit unsure as the battery holder seemed to have 3 wires going to it.

Terry

Standard device batteries usually have a temperature sensor in them, thus a 3rd terminal.

Sony are the ones I know of that you can't fool. It's impressive how they protect their stuff.

I'm used to always replacing the batteries of camcorders with standard R/C lipos, in order to save a lot of $... I use a 2s / 4000mAh battery I paid about $80, while the stock 1200mAh costs the same.

Some have a DC jack, in that case that's what I use. Mine had an AC adapter that has a dummy battery at the end, so replaced the cable.

But with Sony you can forget. I also sometimes charged my camcorder's original battery at the field, using my lipo charger. No problem. Do that with a Sony, it charges normally, but when you put it in the camcorder you get a nice "invalid battery" message. I had to discharge it externally, plug it into the designed charger and it was OK again.

Not to say you can forget about using another battery or a DC power source. Even if there are 2 terminals, they send data through the power wires. A friend wanting to do like me then tried the DC in way and cut his AC adapter's output cable. Power up, nice "Please use original Sony accessories" on the screen. Bummer :angry:

Thanks Kilrah you saved me a lot of time I will just make a 7.5v dropper for my 12v source.

Terry

Even if there are 2 terminals, they send data through the power wires. A friend wanting to do like me then tried the DC in way and cut his AC adapter's output cable. Power up, nice "Please use original Sony accessories" on the screen. Bummer :angry:

Thaks for that valuable piece of info! my Sony DV camcorder's PSU outputs 7.2v with just two wires and I was thinking about cutting the cable so I can power the camera off a standard 7.2v pack. I don't think I'll try that now.

It might depend on the age of your unit too. My Glasstrons still have a standard DC plug, and accept fiddling with it. But these date back from 2000...

I indeed wouldn't really have a go at it.