Sign in to follow this  
dmb

Servo to camera shutter

Could someone please explane how to hook up a servo to press the shutter button on the camera. Please explane it all.

Thanks so much.

That all depends on the camera. Some cameras can be triggered electronically. Others need to be triggered mechanically. And even mechanically there can be different setups.

What camera are you using?

At it's simplest level, simply make a bracket that holds the camera in place and a servo in place so that the servo arm actually touches the shutter button when moved.

If the camera allows for a mechanical pin to be screwed into the shutter button (Like many of the older 35mm SLRs) then purchase the cable for it and then cut off the end that you push and hook it into the servo arm.

Look at RC Cams web pages. He has a couple of projects I believe for this.

Sorry to revive an old topic (2.5 years....yikes). But, this is exactly what I need.

I have a Minolta DiMage E201 that I am going to try to electronically trigger. Does anyone know if it is possible to just remove the shutter release button on the DiMage E201 and reveal the contacts under there, or do I need to go through the camera to access a good solder point?

EDIT: If you guys don't know about this particular camera, I could take pictures of the inner parts of it to show you incase that would help. If no-one knows for this particular camera, then is it even a good/decent idea to try this on any minolta/any digital camera?

Thanks.

Ryan

Edited by Pandoz

I don't have any experience with that camera. But, I would advise that it is very unlikely you will see any switch contacts. In every case I have encountered, the switches that are used in these designs are sealed membrane or SMD tactile types. So hack access will have to be done at a soldered connection. Beware of the flash cap -- it can have several hundred volts on it for days after the last use.

Maybe I could help you if I tell you how I did it.

I cut a hole for the servo in a piece of 3mm plywood. Screwed in the servo. Glued to the plywood metal L-shaped aluminium section as a bottom rail to support the camera and added some cushioning on sides and under the camera. The whole plywood support-thing is attached to the plane with velcro strips and the camera is fixed to it with two rubber bands.

ap1.jpg

Hey! I like that mount! I am going to copy it for my Pentax 35mm film camera...I've been trying to figure out the best way to mount the servo to the camera and also the whole thing to the plane...your mount solves all that. Good job, thanks for the inspiration.