Mr.RC-Cam

Maxim's Loss-of-Video-Sync Alarm IC

Ordered mine... hope its journey across the Atlantic is swift ;)

I think developing an innovative product AND getting it to market in a matter of months is an extrordinary effort. Congratulations!

b.

RC-Cam,

Are the labels for front and back panels on the production system on decals or are they cut into the plastic of the case? If they are stick-on decals, are you willing to sell the decals and if so how much $$? It looks a lot cleaner than the labels from my label maker B)

Thx,

Tim

Ordered mine. Telling friends now...

Thanks! If you don't mind, when it arrives can you provide some immediate direct feedback on your first impressions? I am slowing down the product's soft introduction in case we need to improve the packaging, instructions, and such. Goofing up these sort of little details can really derail an otherwise decent product.

Congratulations!

I appreciate the kind comments.

Are the labels for front and back panels on the production system on decals or are they cut into the plastic of the case?

We didn't use a decal. Instead, they are silk-screened panels. Nothing fancy, but they look good.

Thanks! If you don't mind, when it arrives can you provide some immediate direct feedback on your first impressions? I am slowing down the product's soft introduction in case we need to improve the packaging, instructions, and such. Goofing up these sort of little details can really derail an otherwise decent product.

Absolutely. Watch this space.

I am new the FPV, and after crashing my FPV ship into the ground because of the video drop out on the landing approch, I am now serious considering a better antenna solution then my existing 8dbi patch panel.

So, after reading 17 pages of comments, Orcle appear to be viable solution. I am considering using my existing 8dbi patch antenna and a 3dbi stock omni antenna for the diversity setup.

What do you guys think? or would I be better off with two 8dbi patch?

~Brian

I am currently using a 8db and a 14db set of patches with excellent results. If you fly in front of yourself only, I think this is a great combination.

It depends if your drops were at close range or far out. A 3dBi whip won't likely help you 1km away even if that actually could depending on your TX power, but if you have drops when flying around you at short/medium range, then yes. That's the configuration I usually use.

Great!!

So, since the drop out I am having is only in close range (<500'), can I expect the 3dBi whip to provide complete coverage using a 500mW transmiter?

My recent crash was the result of me forgeting the reaim the antenna on the landing approch. So, end up with antenna the exact wrong direction. If 3dBi fill in the gap for close range, I can prevent similar crash to ever happen again.

thanks

Brian

It depends if your drops were at close range or far out. A 3dBi whip won't likely help you 1km away even if that actually could depending on your TX power, but if you have drops when flying around you at short/medium range, then yes. That's the configuration I usually use.

Always depends on a lot of things. One of our forum´s member is flying around 4 km with standard whips on both sides. Isn´t it amazing?

Yeh well, with what TX?

Just a 500 mW Lawmate and lawmate receiver too. Also he´s got r/c control with a simple futaba skysport

OK. I'm used to 10mW, the whips on both sides get a little light after 500m. But with 500mW of course it's another story.

I'm more amazed by the R/C... :blink:

I'm amazed by the R/C range as well :o It just shows that Futaba is pretty good stuff! I think I got approx 3Km on mine before the wings folded. I'm confident I could of gone farther. As soon as I get Thomas/Mark Harris OSD/GPS, I will attempt again to satisfy my curiosity. I've contacted friends (land owners) on point A to point B to attempt this; got to have a emergency landing place from beginning to end. Everyone here seems to support me thank god. Anyhow I have to buy Kilrah's video splitter (promise on that one :) ) so everyone can enjoy the live video transmission :D

Ah, so that was the comment I was wondering about :lol:

Personally with stock Futaba gear my record is 2750m, and that was pretty hairy at that point (no control nearly 50% of the time... :wacko: )

But that was in the 40MHz band, and ranges are different in each band, with 72MHz being like 3 times better...

I agree with you on the range with 72mhz. BTW just bought your video splitter. So one component taken care of and a few more to go! :lol:

I'm sure this has been covered, but i understand that the Futabas generally transmit well below the legal limit. Is it possible to "Turn Up" the output to the full legal limit without a scope?

A Futaba Skysport can transmit 4KM (ppm)(2.5 miles)? Thats a bit further than I know of. I would expect the aircraft would have glitched into the ground before 2 miles. Does seem extreme even under good conditions (good extreme, but extreme).

Edited by ddwaner

While I'm awaiting my Oracle, I'm wondering about slimming it down a bit. I'm not being picky, it's just that my current RC transmitter case has a bit of padded space that fits a single receiver and video splitter and a battery. I'm anticipating problems squeezing in an Oracle and a 2nd receiver.

Sooooo... I'm wondering about using the Oracle uncased, protected by a (large) piece of shrink-wrap, to make it flatter (well, apart from that useful line of RCA sockets!).

Now I've found that de-casing RF components isn't always successful, the circuitry on the PCB being optimised for a given earth plane/case environment. Or finding components wiggle loose when not protected by a hard cover. Or overheating issues as you swap 'bolted to the case' with 'covered in shrink-wrap'.

So, question: would you anticipate any problems (overheating, inductive or capactive coupling de-tuning stuff, bits falling off) if I replace the case with shrink-wrap? I'm hoping to put the receivers just above the board, side by side, just forward of the sockets. I know you won't want to give any guarantees, I just wonder if experience with using the PCB suggests any specific vulnerabilities I ought to keep in mind.

So, question: would you anticipate any problems (overheating, inductive or capactive coupling de-tuning stuff, bits falling off) if I replace the case with shrink-wrap?

I would not anticipate any problems.

If your intended installation requires that you use coax to connect the antennas, then you might reconsider. The coax's RF losses can be a huge burden, so directly connecting the antennas to the Rx are a great way to go. This is an advantage with Oracle (versus one-box-does-all diversity systems) since the antennas can installed at further distances without coax.

I've always been using my Oracle with no case so far. If you want shrinkwrap you'll really need the XXXXXL size (about 14-15cm). I don't think I've ever seen that big :lol:

Kilrah, RC-Cam makes much of the benefits of no coax - have you done any tests with your receivers to explore how big this effect is? The benefit would presumably be 10+dB patch sensitivity with 8dB patch beam width...

No, I hardly ever add any extra coax on my RX setups. If I use a whip then it's directly on the RX, if I use the patch I use the ~30cm pigtail that it already has without adding more.

I've needed some on a couple of occasions (shooting video on full-size planes), when the receiver had to be buried inside a CF compartment where nothing would go through, then I used a 60cm coax and 5dBi whip. But the RF link had to be only about 3 meters, so no big deal :lol:

Absolutely. Watch this space.

Thomas -

Detailed feedback has been PM'ed to you.

For everyone else:

I am quite impressed. I had order confirmation immediately after I submitted the order (on 6/20), and a package tracking number that night. The unit was shipped the next day after ordering (6/21). It arrived safe, sound, and well-packaged 4 days later on 6/25. Excellent!

The device was packaged very professionally in a shrink wrapped box with a color label on top and descriptive label on the side, which included the unit serial number, firmware version, and hardware revision.

Immediately upon opening the box, I was greeted with the printed 9-page manual. There were a few minor proofing issues in the manual (I included those details in the PM to Thomas; there was nothing serious), but overall it is well written and describes plain and clear how to operate the unit.

The unit itself was individually shrink wrapped along with a power lead (connector pigtail). I was not expecting to receive the power lead and was pleasantly surprised that it was included.

The silk screening on the case is clear and leaves no room for connection ambiguity.

I'm still waiting on my second receiver before I can field test the Oracle, but I don't anticipate any trouble there.

I'm very, very pleased and impressed with the ordering process and OOBE (oops - out-of-box-experience).

More later, I'm sure...

-Mark

There were a few minor proofing issues in the manual (I included those details in the PM to Thomas; there was nothing serious)

The recommended corrections from you (and a couple other users) have been applied to the manual. For those that want the revised text, the newest Oracle manual is a free download from the dpcav.com site.

Thanks again for the detailed feedback. It was very helpful. For sure, I appreciate the kind words!