Sign in to follow this  
Kilrah

Full-scale onboard video

Okay, not R/C related, but it still involves both wireless cameras and airplanes, so it certainly must have its place here :P

I went to do some tests on a full-scale aerobatics plane, the pilot wanting to have some onboard footage, and a friend of mine who is an aviation cinematographer wanting to see what those cameras we use for R/C would behave like on something bigger. There's no reason why they wouldn't like it, but at least we now have the proof ;)

I still faced some problems as the goal was to put the receiver and recorder inside the plane's little stuff compartment, but the entire fuselage is coated with carbon fibre. Not to say that with the box' second layer there would be no usable picture even with the TX on the other side at a mere 3m distance...

I had to put a coax extension and tape an antenna in direct LOS through the canopy. That went very well then :)

Hehe, he says he was only doing some "gentle training" :P

KX131+10mW TX as always, 90° and 116° lenses.

Beautifull video.

He practicing over road, I 'm surprise. The quality of video and transmission is awesome

Thanks!

I made a 2nd edit, more "advertisement-clip" as I have someone interested in doing the same with his plane: Video

I hope the transmission is good, if I couldn't get past 3m with the gear I use for FPV I'd be in trouble :lol:

Edited by Kilrah

Ah both receiver and camcorder was in the planes, I missed that :) it explain well why the tansmission was always perfect

OMG! Didn't you worry about the camera/tx possibly coming off during flight?? I'd also worry about that small antenna. Looks very fragile in 150+ mph winds.

The cam is very light, with all the high strengt tape he put, it will certainly stay there.

Nice 2nd video too, professional looking. How much time you take to edit this video ?.

No problem! That tape is mega strong, I could hang myself to it without ripping it... What I was more afraid of was to rip all the paint when removing it!

The antenna is the least sensitive part, it's so small it won't get much effort on it. The important thing is to seal the front of the joints so that there is no hole the air could build pressure into.

It was also worrying me a bit at the beginning, but I heard even worse...

I have a friend who was in the Air Force, and who flew Mirage 3 fighters. He made a video where there were rushes shot from the wingtip. I asked him how he had put the cable (yes), thinking he had run it inside the wing. Answer: The same tape, on the bottom of the wing. Duh! :blink:

Now that's another thing, not only you have a ~5mm bump all along the wing (what about aerodynamics?), but these things fly at 900km/h! :wacko:

Editing the 2nd video took me ~2h during 1:30 and 3:30am monday night, as for some reason I couldn't sleep... That was basing myself on the first one (basically the same parts, but cut further and arranged with music). I guess I needed about 4 hours for the long one. Capture time not included of course ;)

4 flights, there was already very little room for one receiver/recorder, couldn't have imagined putting 4 at a time... The pilot sure did some training that day :lol: