Panel guy

12f629 ? how do I put in hex file

Hi, I am trying to build the circuit to use hobbyzone xport to trigger my camera as shown in your projects section.

I have followed the directions, and am at the point of flash programming the pic 12f629. I read the chip first, with the osc cal in the last address as 3440 (and enter that into the hex file I downloaded from your site). When I try to use the same program software as shown in the project(icprog105c) I keep getting errors.

The icprog105c program says :

ERROR writing address 0x000000

written:0x3000 Read 0x3FFF

So the hex file is not making it into the chip, as this is the first address

Any ideas (besides getting a different plane :-)

Thanks.................I a now realizing I may be over my head.

I suspect something is wrong with the programmer or its installation. For example, what do you see if you try to program with nothing in the socket? I have a feeling the same error will appear. BTW, are you sure the chip is installed in the socket at the right pins?

I don't use the programming system that you own, so I cannot offer any other advice. But others have used ICProg, so maybe they will join in and help you out.

I suspect something is wrong with the programmer or its installation.

For example, what do you see if you try to program with nothing in the socket? I have a feeling the same error will appear. BTW, are you sure the chip is installed in the socket at the right pins?

Same error with no chip in the programmer. But I can read the (not any more mind you) the last data address which was 3440, and is now 3ffff

Here is my set up.

Win Xp

JDM hobby with pic 12f629 (picture 1a)

Hardware setting as it is hooked to com 2 (picture 1)

fuse setting (following the list on the rc-cam project page) (picture 2)

Thanks for trying to help

post-7-1161040445_thumb.jpg

fuse settings (set up the same as the image in "projects"

post-7-1161040730_thumb.jpg

I googled and found this:

PIC12F629/675: JDM Programmer can program these devices well, but can not read/verify/erase when configuration word is set to both "INTOSC oscillator" and "MCLR function is internally disabled"

It just so happens that this project uses IntOSC and MCLR is disabled. In this case, you would not be able to do a verify. So, perhaps your chip is actually programmed?

When I program, (putting in 3440 in the last spot) This is what I get when I read the PIC:

Weird oscillation "LP"

Weird fuse settings

Weird data in hex 00000.........

weird 3fff in the osc cal

The picture is after programming and trying to read. I understand what you are saying about not being able to verify, but ?????

post-7-1161042497_thumb.jpg

This is what the assembler view of the hex file syas that I downloded from the rc-cam project

Would the details of the 16XXXXX PIC be important or perhaps create an error for me??

post-7-1161042761_thumb.jpg

The picture is after programming and trying to read. I understand what you are saying about not being able to verify, but ?????

According to that info I posted, you will not be able to use your JDM to read, verify, or erase the PIC after it has been programmed with the CamMan-XP firmware.

Why not install the PIC in your CamMan-XP board, follow the 10 test steps outlined in the project, and see if it works? If you get any intelligence at all then the PIC is programmed. If the circuit appears dead then the PIC is indeed not programmed, is damaged, or the board is not wired correctly.

That sounds like a good idea. I will try it, test, and let you know tommorow AM what the results are.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help

Jamie

Tried the 10, but process fails when I get to the "put PIC in" So I am thinking that the software is not in the chip.

post-7-1161085291_thumb.jpg

That is sad news. I don't have any more ideas. You definitely need someone with JDM/icprog experience at this point.

Edit:

Have you tried programming a brand new PIC? There is a chance the one you have was messed up during all the programming attempts. Just program it one time (ignore the verify error) and then check it in the circuit.

This forum has some tips too (13V check, I/O delay, etc.): http://www.sparkfun.com/cgi-bin/phpbb/view...cb8138687744bcf

This article offers an interesting fix to the JDM issue:

http://users.tpg.com.au/btkelly/jdm_b.htm

Edited by Mr.RC-Cam

Thank you, I will stumble through all of the info, as well as check here, until I find out how to do this. Then I will let you know what I was doing wrong.