Sign in to follow this  
KeithLuneau

Ok to run two receivers on one plane?

I've got another project in mind, but it will requite a second receiver on my airplane controlling the pan/tilt for the camera. What I've got in mind is having a "passenger" with full control over the camera, with his own transmitter to look around as I "fly him around". Would it be ok to use an old AM system for that? I've got a Hitech Flash5 on channel 40 with a 7-channel Tower receiver for the plane. I'd like to use an old Futaba Conquest (AM) on channel 56 for the camera. I've got an old Kyosho 2-channel receiver to use with it. They aren't good for much else anyway... lol Would it be ok to power both receivers from the same battery?

You will probably have no problem, try it and make a range test so if it past the range test, you will have no problem in the air. Run the motor while during your test.

OK, the main thing I'm worried about though is powering both receivers off one supply. I'm using a Kontronik "Sun 3000" 30amp ESC that's got a pretty good BEC (5V 2A), I think it can handle it. I'm powering the two receivers and 4 servos like this. If it gets too warm on the gorund, I can always throw a little 4-cell pack on there. The weight is already starting to pile up though... lol

Edited by KeithLuneau

You should be ok. Any ESC with a decent BEC will be able to power 4 servos, and receivers pull so little current to operate that the second receiver probably won't even make a significant increase in current draw.

I just looked in the manual for the ESC, it's rated for 4 servos, and I should state that I'm using 4 GWS Pico servos, which probably dont pull as much current as a single full sized one... lol

It should be fun to see a video from a passenger's perspective!