dmb

Plane

1st question- Are the 2 moter electric planes from china that are on Ebay any good?

2nd question- How would I hook up a new servo to a plane to opperate a camera,

if the plane already has 2 things using its two channels?

3rd question- Do electric Helicopters work for outdoor photos or video?

Thanks so much

Edited by dmb

question 1:

"you get what you pay for" If it looks too good to be true, it usually is.

question 2:

depends on the controller they use. There are some famous hacks for the hitec receivers that allow you to pull out extra channels. I suspect that these cheaper airplanes do not have the ability to pull out extra channels.

question 3:

yes

<edited> to remove grouchy response on my part

Regards,

Bill

Edited by yb2normal

Sorry if this all sounds discouraging DMB.

Do you have a specific goal in mind? I'm sure we could recommend a plane based on your needs and budget. Just be ready to pay at least $100 for a plane and electronics that is at least marginally controllable (firebird type planes)

Regards,

Bill

I would like a inexpensive plane that allows a new servo to be attached to a channel so I can attach it to a camera. Would this kind be any good Plane

Thanks

Edited by dmb

I've never flown that plane, but I've flown another thrust-vectoring plane, and it was not a pleasant flight.

I think this plane would disappoint you, and pretty much anything for $35 is not going to fly particularly well.

Sorry for the bad news!

Bill

The Kavan Wingo sounds like what you want, or it's clone the Soarstar. This also is supposed to be a copy.

Is that copy any good? I am debating over getting an electric heli or a wingo style plane, what would you recomend and what are the pros and cons of each? How could I hook up another servo to the plane if all 3 channels are all ready in use?

Thanks so much

In order to hook up an extra servo you should consider buying a radio with at least 4 channels. The radio recommended on the HL site is very limited.

But perhaps there are some hidden channels inside the Focus 3FM that are aching to be pulled out. What a great project that would be, considering how affordable this radio is...

dmb, I wasn't clear, you are wanting to pan a video camera, or trigger a still camera? The extra radio channel you need might differ depending on which one of these you are doing.

Regards,

Bill

Is that copy any good? I am debating over getting an electric heli or a wingo style plane, what would you recomend and what are the pros and cons of each? How could I hook up another servo to the plane if all 3 channels are all ready in use?

Thanks so much

Well the ad says it is :) I have no experience with it. I think Mr. RC-Cam has the Soarstar.

Kavan also makes a heavier lift model, the Wingo Porter. But these are not real low cost.

1. Get a radio system with more channels.

2. Devise a circuit/servo that Y connects off an existing channel. i.e. blipping full down elevator to trip.

Camera trigger on three channel system:

The CamMan PIC is designed to share the throttle channel if necessary. Reducing the throttle to below 1/4 speed will trigger the camera. This also helps to take better photos since the motor vibrations will be minimized at the lower RPM's.

The project involves difficult soldering and isn't for everyone. All the info is on the RC-CAM Projects page. Here is a photo of the CamMan-Aiptek PenCam version (other variants support the Sony DSCU20 and GSmart Mini-3):

camera1.jpg

The Soarstar is a good aerial photography model. It is a clone of the Wingo, except it has a geared motor (good for hauling cameras). The kit also includes the motor's ESC and battery. It flies slowly and is more stable than some of the other popular park flyers. However, it will cost more than those eBay cheapies that are being discussed here.

I estimate that a good electric heli that can haul a small camera will set you back about $1000 or more by the time you are comfortably in the air. So, a parkflyer airplane will be lower cost.