Sign in to follow this  
Mr.RC-Cam

Airwave Audio Input, Electret Mic OK?

Has anyone tried the simple FET electret mic elements on a Airwave Tx module? The output levels of these mics is very low and they didn't work well without a 5X preamp on my older Lawmate Tx's. I'm hoping it will be easier with the Airwave Tx.

For Example:

pRS1C-2160123w345.jpg

The local Radio Shack is out and I'd rather not drive further out to the next store if it is going to be bad choice. If I need to, I'll rip one out of my Lawmate setup to try, but that is a last resort. Looking for good news...

These modules are like most of the others and expect line levels. So the preamp is needed...

I wondered the same thing after seeing the RangeVideo system using these mics without an amp. I know the PA3 mic I've got (thanks to the suggestion of Mr.RC-CAM) works really well. The volume is good enough, but even with that I wouldn't want to go any lower, so those electret mics would probably not work for me.

... after seeing the RangeVideo system using these mics without an amp.

That is odd. I believe RangeVideo uses Lawmate; I could not get enough sensitivity when I tried an amplified FET mic element on my Lawmate Tx's (several years ago). They all needed preamps to suit my needs. I wonder if the latest Radio Shack part has more audio gain?

Here's the thread where he talks about using the RS mic. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582582 Post #13 has a link to the specific one he used. Post #17 shows another mic he's using, that doesn't even look to be powered. Maybe I'm wrong, and he's got a pre-amp in there somewhere.

Thanks for the links. Perhaps the newest Lawmates have a preamp in them? If not, then I suspect the results he is getting from those surplus-looking mics are not what I would want.

I'll just have to try a FET eletret mic on the Airwave Tx and see what happens. I'm laying out the PCB at the moment, so I'll include a preamp and direct connections for external audio. That will brute force the solution.

That is odd.  I believe RangeVideo uses Lawmate; I could not get enough sensitivity when I tried an amplified FET mic element on my Lawmate Tx's (several years ago). They all needed preamps to suit my needs. I wonder if the latest Radio Shack part has more audio gain?

I can't figure out RangeVideo. Their receivers look to be exactly the same as mine (Lawmate). But they sell a 500mW Tx, and it clearly is not the same as my 600mW Lawmate Tx. Lawmate does not sell a 500mW unit. Check it out here: http://www.rangevideo.com/500mw.html Could they be using a combination of Lawmate and Airwave products?

But they sell a 500mW Tx, and it clearly is not the same as my 600mW Lawmate Tx.

Lawmate produces the TM-240500 shown in the photo. It is indeed a 500mW rated model.