Sign in to follow this  
Daytona

Light conditions

Hi

I'm just starting with FPV. I've been flying models for thirty years and full size for twenty.

Yesterday was my first FPV attempt. Sunny winter day with low sun. The headset screen was whited out if I flew with the model pointing within 90 degrees of the sun - which was unfortunately the wind direction so pointing away from the sun was a very short term option. (My 'safety pilot' had to do all the flying.)

Last night I made a lens hood. Today was duller - sun behind thin sheet of cloud. The picture was very dull - I flew for perhaps five minutes 'fpv' by keeping the only distinct ground feature (a quarry) in view most of the time. But no way could I see enough to do much more than make out the horizon and keep the wings level.

I've got good quality goggles, but am using just a pin hole spy camera. Am I wasting my time with this camera?

I also had wavy horizontal lines across the screen. These seemed linked to motor setting. I am using the one battery pack to power everything.

Any thoughts, tips etc most appreciated.

Yep, you're wasting your time with that camera. It is almost certainly a CMOS camera, and they just don't work all that well for FPV. They have very little light gathering ability, and do NOT like sudden light changes. You can find a decent CCD camera that will BLOW AWAY that camera for about $35...I thinks you can find it at Mavin.com or something...I'll see if I can find you the link. And your wavy horizontal lines are caused by voltage ripple due to the motor current not really being constant. The best way to deal with that is run a seperate small LiPo battery. Is your system 12 volts? You can use a 3S battery for it with no extra mods, but if its a 5 volt system you'll need a voltage regulator. Check with Dimension Engineering for one, if you need it. Good luck and let us know what happens with your setup!

The cheap camera philthyy says is this one

The most famous from what I´ve seen (please notice I´m newby here) is the kx-131, and I believe this is the same and the cheaper site I´ve found: KPC- S226CB

Andres

Link edited, didn´t work

Edited by Andres

The cheap camera from Mavin is only NTSC :(

The kx-131/KPC-s226 has the same price at Range Video, I´m going to order from them.

Cheers

Andres