Sign in to follow this  
uncle buck

R/C On-Off Switch - Bit-Switch or CamMan-Aiptek ?

Hi everyone,

I have just found the excellent RC-CAM site & forum.

Me & a few friends run Petrol RC buggy’s (FG Marders etc) & we would benefit greatly from having a R/C On-Off Switch like the “Bit Switch” http://www.rc-cam.com/bitsw.htm

The engine in our buggies has a kill switch that when pressed earths the coil & stops the engine.

It would be simple to splice into this circuit for connection. We would be using a spare channel to operate the switch.

The Bit switch uses the PIC10F chip, I don’t think my programmer can do this chip (well it's not listed). My programmer is the multiprogrammer (“Elvis”) by AD-Teknik http://www.adteknik.se/english/circuits.htm

Would the CamMan-Aiptek R/C Digital Camera Controller work for my needs as I know my programmer supports the PIC12C509, and PIC12C509A

Thanks for any advice.

Regards.

CamMan-Aiptek's output is a pulse (not constant), so it would probably be the wrong choice. However, another project called "PanCam" has an On/Off Aux output that should do what you want. Just ignore the other features on the device.

Hi,

I’m going to have a go at the “Pan Cam” project & just use the Aux output.

On page 6 of the “Pan Cam” PDF it gives connection details if you just want to use the project as an R/C accessory switch.

I would like to keep the built device as small as possible for easy placement so I would like to use the [s1] arrangement, however an AVQ212 is going to cost around £10. Given that my electronic skills are virtually non existent I’m a little reluctant to layout this sort of cash for an item I’m almost guaranteed to fry! :rolleyes:

Would I be able to use a cheaper device in place of the AVQ212…..something like this?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...=2223&DOY=16m11

Also I will have to have something to drop the voltage to the PIC12C509 (+3.90 to 5.25 VDC. Do NOT exceed 5.5VDC!)

The receiver battery is 6volt (5x 1.2v NiMH cells) & when this is fully charged its closer to 7.5 volts according to my multimeter!

Will a resistor in the power line to the PIC do the job?

Thanks for any advice.

Regards, UB.

You can use a common optoisolator like the 4N25. Those can handle about 50mA. Because the kill switch usually has high voltage spikes on it, the optoisolator should control a low current relay. If you can find a 5V relay that operates at 25mA or less, you can have the PIC directly drive it without any other components (except for the usual EMF protection diode on the relay coil).

A resistor will not work as a voltage drop solution. For 5-cell operation, you should be able to achieve safe PIC voltage using two silicon diodes to drop the voltage. However, I would recommend an LM2931 LDO voltage regulator.

Given that my electronic skills are virtually non existent ...

Unless you have some hands-on guidance from someone with circuit building experience, it might be best to just go for something that is ready to use. How about this? : http://www.dimensionengineering.com/PicoSwitch.htm. Keep in mind that it only supports up to 5.5VDC Rx voltages, so you will need to accommodate your 5-cell pack's voltage issue.

Hi,

Thank you for your detailed advice….yeah I think a ready made unit is the best idea all-round!

I had seen the unit that you recommended (link) which would do the job once the input voltage to the device had been addressed.

I still may have a go at a home made project with a bit of help from my mate when he gets back from holiday…..he has a better understanding of electronics & should be able to keep me right.

Thanks for your help ;)