Richiela

Transmit Antenna Question

hecko :

I run a 600mw 2.4 BWAV with the stock transmit antenna on the top of the plane. I receive the signal with a 8dB patch antenna. I get great video when flying straight and level. When I bank the airplane, I begin to get video breakup until I level off.

Has anyone come up with a solution for this? How do I cure this polarization problem?

Edited by Richiela

A patch with circular polarization helps but there is no easy answer. Putting the aerial on the bottom will help too, try and keep it as low as possible so that the wings dont block the signal in a turn.

Terry

At what range is this happening? I'm running the same BW 600mW tx and have very little break-up of signal within normal flying distances, unless I do loops, rolls, etc. And even then it's not terrible. When not doing distance flying (flying far away), I use the standard 3dbi whip antennas on the tx and rx.

Like Terry, with 600mW I do see some intermittent dropouts, but they are not horrible (and only happen on occassion). Can you provide a link to one of your videos that demonstrates how problematic this is? Perhaps it will show us how extensive your issue is (then we could confirm you have the usual dropouts, and not something odd). Keep in mind that the environment will affect the dropouts due to multipathing from neighboring RF reflective surfaces (cars, fences, buildings, etc.).

Also, can you post photos of your Tx and Rx installation? With microwave RF, everything matters.

Assuming that the installation is good, and the equipment is operating to spec, then the usual solution for typical dropouts is circular patch Rx antennas and diversity receivers.

I have replaced the left hand polarization antenna with a right hand polarization antenna. That shows much improvement. I then added a 20 dB preamp, watching not to overload the receiver. That show promise as well.