Haku

Sony Glasstron PLM-S700

I got my Sony Glasstron PLM-S700 this morning and have been testing them out on my PC, amazing resolution compared to the previous glasses I had/have, just wish someone had told me about the fan inside the base unit! Can that be replaced with a quieter one or slowed down to reduce the noise without damaging the unit?

One minor problem is they didn't come with an AV cable so can someone help me out and test their AV cable with a multimeter so I can get the pinouts to make my own?

I assume it's a 4-pole 3.5mm plug of which I have some, just need the pinouts of tip to base in that order. Thanks.

It's the standard camcorder pinout, that is Left/Video/Ground/Right starting from the tip.

Regarding the fan, even if that has surprised me the first time, it has never disturbed me as I anyway have the volume loud enough to cover that when watching movies :P

You'll soon notice than when going out for a flight on a cold day it will be very noisy until it has warmed up, seems to be normal ;)

Haku, where did you get your Sony glasses? How much were they?

Thanks Kirah, I didn't think there was any one specific pinout for the 4-pole 3.5mm plugs because the Rimax glasses I had I think were a different order than that and my Archos AV500 is different again.

The pinout order you posted jogged my memory, when I made a short cable for connecting my Archos to my Olympus Eye-Trek FMD200 glasses the Olympus has the same, I just tried the Olympus AV cable on my Sony glasses and it worked perfect :)

About the noise, I'm going to see if it's possible to get a quieter fan because I can't deal with the sound, if I watch a movie on them too loud it'll make my ears ring because I have tinnitus :\

philthyy, I got them off eBay, winning bid was £315 and I didn't want to go that high but I'm really glad I did in the end because the image quality is amazing (just a shame about the power requirements).

They came with a 3rd party PC head tracking unit but no software so that's another thing to look into.

Are they really good for FPV?? I'm also watching them but want to be sure they are quality glasses... Are they still the best on the market now or there is something better?

thanks for helping me!

Edited by jflambert

All the peoples who post comment about this headset was very satisfy and said it`s the best for the price. I never tried it myself, it`s too bulky for me.

Quel type de lunette tu utilise toi??? Quel est le modele que tu me conseille?

Merci!

J`utilise les lunettes de la cie I-Glasses, le modele que j`utilise sont discontinue depuis belle lurette. J`ai de la difficulte a conseille des lunettes car c`est le seul modele que j`ai essaye avec satsfaction. Je vais recevoir un nouveau casque comme celui de RC-Tech, je dirai mes commentaire apres l`avoir essaye, cela peut prendre quelque semaines.

That listing ended at £410! I thought mine were a little expensive till I checked the listing.

On a similar topic, today I got a 2nd controller box for my iTheater glasses because I took the original one apart for the circuitboard, reducing the size. Couple that board with the insides of an AV receiver and it fits (with a bit of difficulty) in a box about the size of a harddrive mp3 player which I can strap onto my arm.

Ending up with a small portable set of LCD glasses that have a small-ish converter box that only pickup wireless camera signals. The glasses unplug from the converter box which is why I bought a 2nd one so I can still use them on other video sources.

I too have purchased a PLM-S700. I noticed that using the composite input (the yellow connector) to the glasses, the entire 800x600 pixel area of the glasses are not used. There is blank space above above, below, left and right. Do you experience the same issue? Are you aware of any setting the glasses might have to use the entire resolution of the glasses for a NTSC input?

That's normal. A D1-digitized PAL signal will give 720x576 pixels. I gather the S700 displays that without stretching the image but using a screen pixel for each input pixel. That sure has to do with the great qualiity.

I didn't think it would display the image 1:1 without scaling, I tried pluging my glasses into my portabl DVD player with has a PAL--NTSC switch on the back so I can swith between the two whilst a DVD is playing, unfortunately all that allowed me to do is find out my PLM-S700 can't take NTSC input (WTF?), I thought all of them could take PAL or NTSC input?

Anyway if a 720x480 NTSC or 720x576 PAL image was displayed without corrective scaling then the images would look like this on the glasses:

800x600NTSC.gif800x600PAL.gif

The gaps between the image and the outer edge of the LCD screens wouldn't be the same and circles would look oval as they do in the above images, whereas a PAL signal looks like this:

800x600Actual.gif

Which I take to mean that the image is scaled before being displayed, but why they didn't scale it to the full resolution of the LCD I don't know.

As the PLM-S700's have a PC input then using a composite-to-PC monitor adaptor should enable you to view your cameras on the entire 800x600 resolution.

I don't get how you drew your circles. A circle in PAL will be round at 720x576, a circle in NTSC will be round at 720x480. Your first 2 drawings should have "round circles" if I can say that.

And no, the "older-generation" goggles only support one of the systems depending on the region they were sold in. Just like camcorders, you'll find separate PAL and NTSC versions. Sony usually adds an E at the end of the model number for the PAL (i.e. European) version. That's still valid with the newest HDV camcorders.

The specs I'd seen of the PLM-S700 always said PAL/NTSC so I thought it could take both, no bother really as I don't use NTSC, I despise it.

To make the images I took a 400x300 image (basically 4:3 aspect ratio), drew a circle in the center, resized it to 720x480 so if it were output as a NTSC signal it would look like a circle not an oval, scaled it again to 720x576 for PAL.

Then created two 800x600 images and placed the 720x480 in the center of one and the 720x576 in the center of the other, finally rezised both down to 35% of original size to post in this thread.

The final image I just upsized the 400x300 image by 185% so it looked like how you see the image in the glasses.

I received a 5v 1" fan today just to see if I could make the PLM-S700's main unit quieter, it was quieter when spinning on it's own without being bolted down to anything but when put in the unit it was almost as noisy as the original fan and didn't push as much air. Oh well, now I have a little 5v fan kicking about waiting for some unknown future project :)

Straying off-topic a little I may not be earth-bound with FPV cameras for too long, getting into planes is a commitment I can't really do at the moment but I am getting an RC Paraglider for my birthday soon :) hopefully a bit more easy to keep in the air than a plane and I won't have to find such a big open space to fly it

The RC paraglider had it's maiden voyage 2 days ago, a whole 1 second of flight before it landed badly and the prop snapped one of the main plastic guide lines. :( something keeps telling me I'm destined to be earth-bound for the rest of my RC camera life...

Anyway back on topic to do with the PLM-S700 glasses, I was playing with my Logic3 VGA converter box that looks exactly like the one in this thread http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1351 and discovered that it outputs at 1024x768 or 800x800 at 60hz, most interestingly I found that the glasses handle the 1024x768 res (I have no glasses manual) and it scales it down to 832x624 which is the true resolution of the glasses, when in 800x600 mode it doesn't do any scaling but doesn't use some of the surrounding pixels.

The scaling of 1024x768 down to 832x624 is not 100% perfect but pretty good, connected up to my PC when it's in 1024 mode all the text is very readable.

Just thought I'd mention it that you can get your video input to fill the entire 832x624 pixel area by converting it to 1024x768 60hz.

Okay, I'll give it a try once I receive the converter.

I've already used the S700 with the PC to play games, tested both resolutions but didn't notice the display size difference. I stuck to 800x600 as no scaling would obviously be better to find the way through small icons and text :P

Sorry for your model :(

Originally posted in another thread but relavent to this thread:

The fan doesn't disturb me at all. Outside there's always loads of more noisy things, and when watching a movie I have big headphones shouting loud enough to cover that :P

I agree on the cable length though. I guess they couldn't make it much more longer without getting interference on the signals...

I've found a solution to the power issue without even thinking about it - I bought a Sony HDR-FX7 camcorder a few weeks ago, and directly asked the store to put me the biggest battery they had for it along. Turns out it's the same size as the S700 expects, so the big 6.6Ah pack found a double use and will power the S700 for more than 3hrs :)

Waitaminute, you're telling me if I buy a battery for the HDR-FX7, it will charge from and power the PLM-S700 glasses?

Sweet! :)

I've been idly looking for a correct battery for these glasses since I got them but have found nothing, if your camcorder battery works then that's brilliant.

Yep, the NP-Fxxx series are the ones. The one that was supplied with the camcorder is a NP-F570 (2 cells), there's the 770 (4 cells) and the big one I bought extra is the 970 (6 cells). Beware, it's Sony, so the 970 is a bit more than $150. It hurt when I ordered it, but I told myself that if I was getting a $3500 camcorder I could afford the extra $150 for the battery... still a hard move when you're used to hacking every device you have to use alternate and cheap power sources... Unfortunately Sony now make it hard, the device will turn on but give a nice "please only use genuine accessories"-like message and turn off again if you use a different battery, or even AC adapter :angry:

I haven't tried charging the battery on the S700. I'm not even sure if I still have (or ever had) the AC adapter that came with them...

As a funny side note, Futaba 12Z and 14MZ radios use the same battery format than the NP-F570. Means I could use the one that came with the camcorder if I were to buy one of these once :P

Would still have to check if that doesn't mess the battery up though, with these intelligent circuits :angry:

Edited by Kilrah

Thanks so much for the info, (apparent) genuine Sony NP-F970 batteries can be had from China eBay sellers for about $50 including post. Which is nice, so I don't really have an excuse not to get one.

I think the PLM-S700 was made before they started slyly locking their units to only use their own batteries. My Sony HC30 DV camcorder apparently has the "only use genuine accessories" circuitry in it but I bought a clone battery for it and it works fine, even down to reading the minutes of runtime available.

I guess the Chinese even figured out how to copy the chip ;)

Yeah the S700 don't check it yet. However, I was used to having no battery level indication because I was powering them from the DC input, now at least that's solved :D

And if I want a precise indication, the camcorder will give me a nice percentage reading :)

I have the Sony PLM-700's and do not use them that much. The picture and quality are great, but with standard video input, the picture gets smaller and the FOV gets to small for my liking. Also they are very power hungry, when I fly im usually at the field for half of the day, with 2 to 3 hours in the air, and the power usage of the goggles becomes a probelm... So does RC TX power, that that is another thread...

One thing I did to make the PLM-700's better is to tape black monokote to the front of them, so that no light sneaks into them. On a sunny day, the LCD blackout is not enought to keep light from getting through behind the picture.

JetPilot