cyber-flyer

Video of FPV helicopter flight

Finally I've rebuild my web site (not 100% yet) and uploaded the video of recent FPV helicopter flight. The helicopter is X-Cell Gas, equipped with diversity video downlink and Carvec attitude stabilization system.

Low res, 10 Mb video

http://www.cyber-flyer.com/2003/revolution_380kbs.WMV

High res, 40 Mb video

http://www.cyber-flyer.com/2003/revolution_1500kbs.WMV

Cheers,

Val.

Simply amazing video. While at 3K feet, what does the heli look like from the ground? Is it visible?

Amazing! Do you happen to know the altitude record, if one exists?

The carvec system sounds pretty amazing. I know they focus on helicopters, but would you know if they plan on offering fixed wing stabilization any time in the future?

Regards,

Bill

Hi Bill,

the altitude record for model helicopter stands somewhere between 6000 and 7000 ft if I remember correctly. I am not sure how the record was set - the pilot must have used some sort of binoculars or some other way getting close to the model, I can't imagine being able to see and maintain the attitude from the ground.

Carvec may be an overkill for the plane since it also has an RPM governor and yaw HH gyro. But I believe it can be fitted on a fixed wing without much modifications since attitude crontrol is done through PID loop and all the parameters are configurable through software interface. I guess all that required is to retune PID parameters for a particular model.

Regards,

Val.

Wow! Pretty darn inspiring!

The video looks awesome. No drop outs or anything. Are you still using your diversity set-up? If so, I am curious which transmitters/antennas you have mounted on the helicopter. On the website you show the 500 mW 900 Mhz and 2 2.4 ghz transmitters. Is that still what you are using.

Also, which transmitter/antenna combination shows the strongest performance?

Thanks again for making keeping us up to date with such fun and uplifting stuff.

- Happy Electron

Are you still using your diversity set-up?

The setup was pretty much the same as described: 900Mhz, 500mW tx with vertical dipole antenna mounted on heli's tail, 2.4 Ghz 500mW Felsweb TX in front and another 2.4 Ghz 500 mW Felsweb TX on horizontal fin. Both 2.4Ghz TX's are using 'crossed-dipole' antennas. On the ground I am using directional double-quad antenna that tracks model using GPS signal and dual band (900/2.4) patch antenna which is stationary and pointed in the general direction of the model.

which transmitter/antenna combination shows the strongest performance?

This is still work in progress. Field results keep changing: I liked 900 Mhz band originally but it had limited range during recent flights. 'Crossed-dipole' antennas work well for me but they still show nonuniform radiation pattern which I hope to fix in the future. The whole antenna thing is trully more art than science - if you find something that works - stick to it.

Regards,

Val.

Looks great! I did not notice any video switching on the video, can you see the diversity switch happening at the time? and if so, how often does it change recivers?

can you see the diversity switch happening at the time?

Actually yes. You can see small but sudden brightness changes on the video during take off and landing fragments. Look for the moments when heli yaws - the receiver will switch from front 2.4 Ghz to tail 900 Mhz TX. Once high in the air the tracking antenna locks on the 2.4Ghz TX on the tail and there is no switching.

Here is a pciture of my "winterized" setup:

http://www.cyber-flyer.com/video/winter_ready.jpg

Regards,

Val.

Anoher flight recently:

http://www.cyber-flyer.com/2003/1214_video.wmv

Most of the time the receiver was using 900 MHz band. The receiver had low noise preamplifier. Normally preliminary amplifiers don't do much help but it seems that 900 MHz receiver that I've got does not have enough input sensitivity and can use some boost.

Regards,

Val.

Yeah, I could have pointed my camera down... but was afraid to loose attitude and hit the smokestack.

Yeah, I could have pointed my camera down... but was afraid to loose attitude and hit the smokestack.

I was waiting for you to go down the smoke stack! :-)

I posted the URLs to the movies on my clubs message board. (http://www.wimac.org/)

It got some interesting feedback.

Cheers,

Mike