Elena P.

My first flight with camera onboard

Do not know. It was my first plane, full of epoxy glue everywhere. May be camera+tx+servo+bec became too much for it. Can somebody recommend me a foam plane big enough to carry all that stuff?

Can somebody recommend me a foam plane big enough to carry all that stuff?

That's easy!

The Multiplex Easystar is particularly well suited for use in FPV flight. There must be about 5-7 of us that currently use them from here.

If you search this forum, you'll find alot of information on this airplane.

Ouch. I was using an E-Starter also for video, and your placement of the camera and video transmitter looks very similar to what I had. What does your video transmitter consist of? (freq., power, etc.). And where is your RC receiver? Reason I ask is because I had interference between the two systems on my plane due to the close proximity. I could only get out to about 1/4 mile range before getting glitching. It almost looks like you lost control of the plane, and that could have been due to interference from the video Tx.

TX: http://rangevideo.com/500mw.html

Receiver: hitec electron 6, under the wing.

Separate power for receiver and tx/camera.

Should have check the range before flight, but no patience that time :)

Next time I will not set up the servo for the camera, I'll fix the camera under one wing, and TX under another.

I did not control it by video thhat time, but watching it later, was surprised, how fast it moving. From the ground it does not look so fast. I wonder if I will be able to control it by video.

The 500mW transmitter would be top of my list of suspects too.

Terry

TX: http://rangevideo.com/500mw.html

Receiver: hitec electron 6, under the wing.

Separate power for receiver and tx/camera.

Should have check the range before flight, but no patience that time :)

Yeah, that may have been the problem. I had my 600mW BlackWidowAV Tx mounted on top of the wing, and the receiver just under it. I noticed a severe reduction in range due to the proximity of the two. I also tried moving the Tx farther away and that definitely helped. So I would suggest trying to get them as far apart as possible. Also, range check is VERY important! Do a check both with and without the video Tx powered up.

BTW, I hope you didn't damage that car!

No Cars or Cats Were Harmed in the Production of this Film, just one unlucky foam plane :)

May be I will mount rx anthenna cable along the wing (instead of fuselage) and then to the tail, and keep tx/antenna on another wing.

I look at the video and for me the problem does not to came from the video equipement or the planes, in my Easystar, the video tx(500mW) is one inches from the planes receiver.

Frankly Elene, explain me how you learn to fly planes. Did you practiced with a simulator on computer, or did you had help with experience pilot for the first flight.

You said it's your first planes, and it appears you fly it alone. Flying r/c planes look easier than it is. Go at your local r/c club if you have one near you, they will help you. Or practice on computer simulator. Easystar is perfect for training, but don't install the cam for the first flights until your are confortable to fly without video. Then install the cam and record the feild, and go at home and watch the video several time unil you know every things. Then begin video-pilotage

Edited by Vrflyer

Elena, I´m also agree with Vrflyer seems you had a bad setup on your plane(C.G., etc) With a lack of experience it´s hard to make a flight without trouble. Go to your local club and ask for assistance.

Your name is spanish, if you speak it, we could help you at our web site.

VR Flyer you said that you don´t have any problem with your video transmitter. I have mine 600 mW Blackwidoav stuff, almost the same position as yours and I´m getting HUGE r/c interferences. My r/c receiver is a cheap Jamara PPM 6 channels receiver, it makes a big diference too, the quality of your r/c receiver.

Edited by Wavess

My name is russian :-)

It was my first flight with camera, but before I fly that plane for couple month usual way, so I have some experience (before before I fly a heli - t-rex 450:)

I am flying alone - not comfortable when others around, learning from every crash. Another e-starter almost complete, this week will try again.

Thanks a lot for helping me!

Elena

So the problem is not the pilot :) Sorry, you have enough experience. I don't understand wat was the problem, but now I agree, the 500mW tx could cause interference with your receiver. I use Futaba radio, I don't see any interference coming from the video tx, I done test severals years ago, I remember I was able to walk the same distance from the planes (on ground) with antenna retract, the tx was on or off, the distance was identical. I was using PPM receiver at that time, now I use PCM receiver.

P.S It's very cool to see peoples from all around the world comming here, I think we have at least one person from each country.

Edited by Vrflyer

Wow, sorry about the plane! But interesting footage none-the-less. Also, the Robocat looks very interesting. LOL

Just watched the video again, and I would be very surprised if the problem wasn't range and control related. Looked like you handled it fine, until the plane got a certain distance from you. Then it looked VERY sluggish to respond to any of the possible commands.

Also, it didn't look unstable, so I wouldn't suspect a CG problem. I agree with the others that it was probably a range issue related to interference.

Did you have your TX antenna pulled out? I've nearly lost 2 planes b/c I forgot to pull out the TX antenna. Gets a little ways away, then quits responding... Luckily I figured it out and pulled the antenna out PRONTO!

Sounds like you're having a blast EITHER WAY!

J. R.

(Still waiting for my video TX/RX package to come in the mail)

I´ve had some rc glitches due to my video tx is togheter with the rc rx, and I´m using 200mw tx, and I´m using a Futaba 149dp rx, PCM, Dual Conversion and the only one I thought was infallible, until I placed it with a video tx.

Andres

I've lost 2 planes that were equipped with a 500mW TX and a 149DP. 2 times totally unexplained, with losses of control of several seconds with no single order passing, and at relatively close distance (meaning I had been farther one minute before it happened)...

could it be that 72 mhz band is better than 35mhz for rejection of the video tx ,i use 72mhz in the uk ,i find this better for rejection of some unwanted signals.

I am actually (still) in 40MHz. It's true that could maybe make a little difference...

Would using a AM Modulation make any difference? I have a few of those laying around and would be interested if anyone has info on AM being less prone to interference....

After looking a few things up online about AM vs FM, seems that AM would in fact be WORSE...

i use 72mhz in the uk

I wouldnt say that too loud if I were you.

Terry

i guess i would be interesting if anyone who has NOT got a problem with interference if they could say what frequency they are working on

I've lost 2 planes that were equipped with a 500mW TX and a 149DP. 2 times totally unexplained, with losses of control of several seconds with no single order passing, and at relatively close distance (meaning I had been farther one minute before it happened)...

I´ve read some problems with this receiver and the pins for the servo connection.

I think the problem was due to a usual connecting-disconnecting servos to change the rx between planes, wich makes the board flex and the connections may fail.

The vertical board is not fixed to the upper, and let it flex a bit forward/backward. That must not be good for the lower connections...

r149dp14112006164903ci9.th.jpg

Do you think that might be the cause?

I´ve thought about this possibility because I´ve noticed this rx has a fast fail safe action, much faster than the Schulze (this was around 2seconds, the futaba is less than 1 second) and you said "several seconds failure"...

Andres