skola28

New Head Tracking Possibility!

I just came across a really interesting site for a head tracking device which could pan/tilt the camera onboard our little aircraft.

You don't have to buy goggles; you simply turn your head a small amount and that translates to a much bigger turn of the servo. They make it look really easy online (probably b/c they are selling it!), but it looks pretty feasible.

Let me know what you veterans think. Could also be a bit cheapter ($200 I think for the whole kit and caboodle)

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/

J. R.

you simply turn your head a small amount and that translates to a much bigger turn of the servo.

That's not really an advantage. Maybe it's a question of habit, but if I set my tracker like this I don't enjoy the flight. It's better to have a 1:1 movement ratio.

Another thing I don't like is that this thing uses one part on the head and another attached to the PC monitor so that it stands in front of you. Not very handy on the flying field to have to make a stand to hold the thing. Maybe a photo tripod in front of the seating pilot... I like to be able to move freely.

Then it requires a PC on the field.

Other than this, I still haven't found the interest for that thing to play PC games. I've seen a video of a guy playing a game with it, but... the big problem is that when seated in front of a PC monitor that is obviously fixed, when you turn the head you don't have it in front of you anymore... so if you still want to see your screen you need to compensate by turning the eyes the other way :huh:

On my 19'' wide monitor, turning the head ~40° already wouldn't be comfortable at all... Of course it would be OK with goggles, but I have yet to see someone using some for PC games...

BTW, I wanted to try that with my tracker and PLM-S700 once.

Couple things:

All of my FPV stuff will probably involve a laptop computer b/c it allows me to capture the video directly to hard-disk while flying. I also am planning on eventually replacing all of the TX/RX capabilities with the computer (ie: plug the controller into the computer).

Maybe this irTracker could be coupled with a cheap set of goggles to get the motion part. Then, tune the irTracker so it really is 1:1 movement ratio like you said.

I agree that turning your eyes the other way is kinda counter-productive. It looked ok in the videos on that site, but I agree that the goggles would be MUCH preferred.

I agree that turning your eyes the other way is kinda counter-productive.  It looked ok in the videos on that site, but I agree that the goggles would be MUCH preferred.

I'll bet that is why they have amplified the head movement. So you can still see the monitor, but be able to pan the camera around a bit. I've seen another product, very similar, that used a reflecting "dot" that you placed on your forehead, hat, mic, etc. It used an IR sensor of some sorts, mounted on top of the monitor. But from the video, it looked really cumbersome, because the guy had to pan his head pretty far. That would make it difficult to see the monitor if you weren't using goggles.

Edited by twinturbostang