Range video sell good equipement, no problem found with this store, only good comments. He look to have the lowest price on everything I know. He sell also KX121(without case for a mere $50.

I ordered his ready to fly kit at $269 for a friend. I will receive it next week probably. Everything in this kt is the highest quality and he sold it at $269, this is a good deal. I'm sure this kit will work very well. Presently, it's the best places to find ready to fly kit.

He answer also all e-mail fast, but it was the same with Black Widows until he come big...

Their KX131 price is very low (it looks to be about $5 above wholesale). It appears to be the 55 degree Horz FOV version; I wish he had other lens options.

Thanks for the link to his lenses. Any idea what the Horz FOV of the F2.97 would be? I think it would be 60-65 degrees, but I'm not sure.

The 3.6mm, 2.97mm and 2.1mm seem to be the same to me than those sold by BWAV as 70°, 90° and 116° respectively. I have one of each, never actually checked but rather considered those figures as being correct.. :unsure:

There's a page here with figures about lenses and cameras, however the angle is missing most of the time.

A little calculation with 3.6mm for a 1/4" sensor (1m scene width @ 1m distance) gives me 53°. So, well...

I guess a little measurement would be worth it once <_<

Currently I have this CCD camera with a 1/3" sensor and quite good specifications, <1lux, 420 tv lines.

http://cgi.ebay.fr/10pcs-Sharp-1-3-CCD-COL...oQQcmdZViewItem

The image is good but sometimes not, when I am facing the sun for example.

Do you think its a good idea to change it with a KX131 ?

Edited by glidermann

The 3.6mm, 2.97mm and 2.1mm seem to be the same to me than those sold by BWAV as 70°, 90° and 116° respectively.

It complicates things when the detailed specs are not available. Those numbers sound like Diagonal FOV, rather than Horizontal FOV. If true, then I would say the 2.97mm is about 65 degrees Horz FOV.

Kilrah, if you get a chance, it would be very interesting to see the same outdoor image using the various lenses that you have. I have a feeling that the 2.97mm would be a perfect choice for those that don't use a pan/tilt system. But, proof is in the pudding. :)

The KX131 is the camera I've used that behaves the best when looking into the sun. There will still be the smear line, but at least the rest of the image is usable, which means you won't have to guess your way with a blank screen when flying FPV like with other cameras I have.

Hi

My kx131 is from Range Video, ordered one month ago. I also ordered more lenses and that only take to Spain seven days.

Great prices and great support :D

Now I have one lense of each (2,1 2,97 and 3,6) so I can measure the fov of each one.

Andres

Cross-posted...

Indeed, if we could always have detailed specs... But I don't even hope about that anymore, you must know what I mean ;)

Good point about diagonal FOV. Now that puzzles me, I'll be doing even better and measure the horizontal one along with the image comparison. I might be able to do that next week.

Regarding a "perfect choice", I guess there's just none. You can get used to about anything reasonable. I've nearly always been using the 3.6mm, also at the beginning with a fixed camera. It's just on my Katana that I've swapped for the 2.97, because the cockpit view was more realistic.

I flew once with a 5.8mm, but that was with the headtracker - and needed! But it's really nice to see all those details. I'll have to give it a go again when I get to fly...

I've flown a couple of times with the 2.1mm as well, works too. It's a bit weird though!

Edited by Kilrah

Regarding a "perfect choice", I guess there's just none.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)

Most of my flights are with a 53 degree lens on a CX161 camera. I find the narrow view a bit tunnel vision. I also have a 90 degree lens, but the hemisphere distortion is distracting. So, a compromise for my needs seems to be something near 70 (horz) degrees.

It would be great to see a KX131 flight using your 2.97mm camera -- can you post a link to your Kantana flight?

Sure, here's the standard version (30Mb), and here's a HQ version (86Mb)

I should have a new 520-line camera coming in soon if the supplier is wanting to answer my e-mails, I wonder what that will be like. It sadly won't have the 5V operation and size benefits of the KX131, as usual... I still long for the same one with higher resolution :(

Edited by Kilrah

Their KX131 price is very low (it looks to be about $5 above wholesale). It appears to be the 55 degree Horz FOV version; I wish he had other lens options.

Hi to everyone. Vova @ Rangevideo

The FOV's for the 1/4" CCD KX131 are:

f2.10mm(superwide) 116 degrees FOV diagonal. 78 degrees horizontal.

f2.97mm(wide) 95 degrees FOV diagonal. 62 degrees horizontal.

f3.60mm(stock) 73 degrees FOV diagonal. 53 degrees horizontal.

Best,

Vova Reznik

Edited by reznikvova

Finally I understand why I never received the lens I expect when I was ordering. I was using the horizontal deg, so I ask a 80 deg. lens, but the store was selling me the 73 deg diagonal. So when I received the lens, the feild of view was smaller than expected, it was 53 deg horizontal.

I spotted recently my lens on the photo of Range video store, it's the 116deg. the one at the left. I always tell in the past to everyone I use 80 deg lens. Kilrah had already told me my video look to be take with a wide angle lens, I was thinking he was wrong, but again he was right. ;)

I have another lens with wider feild of view the my 116 deg, it look to be 130 to 140 deg, have you already seen that? Surely, it come from Black Widows

Edited by Vrflyer

I'm looking for the *exact* dimensions to the metal cased KX-131. Rather than rely on what is published on the vendor page, would one of you that has one be so kind to measure the maximum case width, height, and depth (case only, ignore lens) for me? If possible, please use mechanical calipers (dims to hundredths of inch if possible).

Oh, thanks for the specs :D

That saves me the testing, but means I'll have to get myself the new numbers in the head ;)

Vrflyer, what lens is it? I've never seen wider than the 2.1mm so far, be it on BWAV or another place... :unsure:

BTW, you can forget about using it on a 1/3" camera, or you'll get black corners.

Kilrah had already told me my video look to be take with a wide angle lens, I was thinking he was wrong, but again he was right.

Aaaah OK, that was still puzzling me ;)

I'm looking for the *exact* dimensions to the metal cased KX-131. Rather than rely on what is published on the vendor page, would one of you that has one be so kind to measure the maximum case width, height, and depth (case only, ignore lens) for me? If possible, please use mechanical calipers (dims to hundredths of inch if possible).

Is this not good enough: http://www.ktnc.co.kr/product_08_07.asp

Scroll down for the drawings.

The lens came with a camera sold by BW, one or two years ago he offered the KX131 with a standard lens or wide angle lens. The lens at right is the one I use presently, the left one is wider angle, a big difference.

post-5-1165505709_thumb.jpg

The two lens don't have the same thread, the left one is sell with a spring.

post-5-1165505886_thumb.jpg

Honestly, I don't trust the specs that are published by off-shore mfgs because they often print with errors or omit details. I've learned my lesson the hard way.

I'm working on improving my camera mount. I would like to accommodate the KX-131. But, if their dimension data is inaccurate, my effort will be toast. CNC machining is expensive, so mistakes are nasty.

Honestly, I don't trust the specs that are published by off-shore mfgs because they often print with errors or omit details. I've learned my lesson the hard way.

I'm working on improving my camera mount. I would like to accommodate the KX-131. But, if their dimension data is inaccurate, my effort will be toast. CNC machining is expensive, so mistakes are nasty.

Tell me the exact dimensions you need, and I can measure mine tonight when I get home.