Sign in to follow this  
Andres

Too much fun

Hi all

First of all, sorry for the "english" you are going to read :P

I´m new to FPV flying, like my flying buddy. Thanks to the videos we´ve seen of Vrflyer, Kilrah and others we discovered this wondeful world so many thanks for your videos and advises :D

We´re using the simpliest setup possible, and it´s too much fun. I just can´t imagine what will it be when I´ll have servomax, goggles and a headtracking device :lol: wi

This is what I´m using right now:

GWS Formosa AUW 700g (waiting for a GWS Tiger Moth 400)

axi 2212/20sl

3s prolite 2100 with regulator for the video

Rx futaba 149DP

APC 10x5E

kx-131 fixed to one servo for pan

tx 200mw

7 inches monitor into a custom box (see photos below)

fpv26112006150329so6.jpg

Like you may see in the pic, I have the tx fixed really near the rx. This gave me several rc problems wich I couldn´t fix until I switched to the futaba rx, and even with this I still have some glitches. Before this I used Hitec 05MS and Schulze 8.35 with similar results. Now I have to thanks Terry and others who conviced me in this thread to buy 200mw tx instead of 500mw ;)

Anyway the Formosa is not going to be my FPV plane, so I´m not going to change anything.

The first day we had the monitor on top of the car, with some boxes to avoid reflections, but wasn´t so good, so I did a box to let us fly fpv without any reflection but being possible to fly normal switching between both ways fastly. When you´re learning this is really great, you can compare plane positions with inside views and that let you learn a lot in very little time :D

This is the box I did with an old MX goggles, the second day we add the tripod, and the third the battery to do it autonomous. Now I don´t think we need goggles for some time, only when we´ll buy the headtrack system ;) BTW, I´ve measured a diagonal FOV of 34 degrees with the box, not bad :)

kinepolis30101160100003uk6.jpg

0101160100003ln6.jpg

01011601000037vm4.jpg

The first day we used it, we bought another monitor and made a second box :lol:

Now we´ve flown FPV six days and we fly at the same time, it´s impressive, really really addicting.

The only thing I think we need is the servomax, although I have to test the 2,1mm lense yesterday arrived...

We have placed the pan servo a bit tilted backwards to let the camera see down when we move it to the sides, but I´m begining to think that was not a good idea, because this changes the skyline and is very disturbing to make a smooth turn, you loose the orientation...

We´re recording some flights, but are very poor quality. The first is horrible and the followings with Windows Movie Maker are not great, but much better. Give me some time for editing (new to this too) and I´ll post them.

Cheers

Andres

Thanks for the report, it's always nice to read and brings back the good old days when we were at this place :)

I'll always remember the first time my buddy switched the controls to me while I was wearing those A35s, and actually seeing the horizon moving to my inputs :D

I actually dreamt of it for a couple of nights after this... and I should still have the e-mail I sent to my "guru" back then ;)

Edited by Kilrah

Yes, the first moment you control it via monitor/goggles is amazing, my first reaction was a whoop of joy, and still have that smile in my face :D

What do you want a welding helmet for?

The nice thing of the box is that you don´t need anything over your head to watch the tv into an absolute darkness, and you can fly fpv and normal view switching so easily how sticking to the box or moving away from it.

I can´t recommend it more to learn flying from pilot view, and it was only 99€ for the monitor ($130). I´m sure anyone may get an old motocross/skiing goggles for free ;)

And the tripod will always be useful for the rx/antenna.

Andres

there is a lot to be said for getting the model flying with some sort of video link working no matter how you do it ,then sit back and look at improvements .As apposed to looking for perfection and expecting top quality results at the first flight .cus you know what that ain,t going to happen

Good job, you have done a nice setup, I like to see that, it's a good starting point. You will certainly try headset one day.

Edited by Vrflyer

there is a lot to be said for getting the model flying with some sort of video link working no matter how you do it ,then sit back and look at improvements .As apposed to looking for perfection and expecting top quality results at the first flight .cus you know what that ain,t going to happen

Sorry uav, but I don´t understand what do you mean :(

Good job, you have done a nice setup, I like to see that, it's a good starting point. You will certainly try headset one day.

Thanks Vrflyer :D

Of course I´d love to buy a headset, but at the moment there´s no money for that :(

you will not regret buying an headset when you do.what i meant by my message was there is no right way to get video down link its up to you and your budget.

you will not regret buying an headset when you do.what i meant by my message was there is no right way to get video down link its up to you and your budget.

now I understand :)

i tried fpv today for like 5 minutes with a safety spotter and it was really cool. i was flying it from the screen of my laptop like andres did with something covering it lol. it feels really weird when u first do it. it is so confusing when you take your eyes of the monitor and try to fly the plane. i coulndt land it with the monitor so i flew the last few minutes regular hoping to get a headset also and also a better camera lense

Effectively, I remember my first FPV flight, I was alone, I take-off and rapidly I was disoriented, I made only two circle pattern around the landing spot and land. I was tired and my knees shaking a little bit after this small flight due to high nervosity :)

We spent so much money, we don't want to see it crashing. This make all the difference with simulator. You will need to do small step at the time, like with a real planes. And sooner than expected you will fly around trees :)

Edited by Vrflyer

I was tired  and my knees shaking a little bit after this small flight due to high nervosity :)

Salut monsieur Gratton.

Comment allez-vous ?

I did my first FPV today, I had the same feelings, it's very easy to get lost on FPV mode.

I used cheap transmitter and receiver, I built a patch antenna, and it improved the reception, but I can not fly too far, no more than 300 or 400 meters at the most.

What would you recommend me about wireless system?

Transmitter 600mw or 1000mw ?

Who has the most stable system: BWav.com or Rvideo.com?

Merci de votre support

Edited by wilson

Wow, 3 first flights in 1 week... That's becoming serious! Congrats to you all ;)

Congratulations to everybody getting started in FPV!

I started this week (friday) too and can think of nothing else. I have the goggles but no servo for the cam yet as I figured it would be more simple to use a fixed camera at first. I use the 90 FOV but have the 70 FOV as well - have not tried fisheye 116 FOV yet but I would imagine I will try it only on a cloudy day.

It really gets the nerves pulsing to fly through the goggles for the first time. My knees were shaking hard the first time as well. I have 3 short flights in the last 3 days and I am loving it. The wind has been pretty high here above 20 kph so my Easystar has needed every bit of power to keep on course. I may have to make a bigger rudder for it. Also, I have a Funjet and Styrker so I want to try the FPV on those as well since I think they may cut through the wind better but they are very fast so I must go easy on the throttle.

Flying around the trees? :o Yes, I know it will come one day but for now I stay up high and trying to know where I am at all times. That is the joy of learning a new skill.

Another one, that´s great! :D

I started this week (friday) too and can think of nothing else.

Same here, if it doesn´t change soon, I´m going to have some domestic problems :lol::lol:

I´m not flying around trees, but very similar, trees are only at one side ;)

post-8-1166452286_thumb.jpg

Hello everybody and thanks...

for show me this new "view" off the hobby,

i sow one movie 10 days ago, from that time until know i only saw me flying over and not from.

i by a cheap camera a tx10 with a 10mw trasmitter, that i put over one servo for left and right view, i also use a portable dvd 7" inside of a card box, i receive that camera friday and went to fly saturday afternoon...

well my life change wend i saw the horizont move just like in the Cessna 152 that i fly to obtain my pilot licence.

make three flights untill sunset, saturday i made two flights and my first landing...

now that i am a new adictid to FPV i need your help, i have to by some googles,

i am thinking in chinese GVD510 ???? 640h*480v that i can by in europe for 300 Euros, :D

thanks in advance for your attention and apolagise for my bad enghish

Luis Gabriel

You can find the GVD510 at Future hobbies for less money. Future hobbiest have received the new goggles(not shown) they sent me one unit for trial and give my opinion, I should receive it in one week. Perhaps it's better for you to wait, the new headset look very good. But I want a good headset first, and look good is less important..

Vrflyer,

Thanks for your reply, i will wait for your opinion about that new google, by the way same minuts ago i show to my 8 years old daughter the first film i saw (FPV)

who made me start in fpv, and is your film (vrflyer) with an easystar in a park.

Once more thank you,

I wonther if you cold help me i use a futaba servo for moving the camera left/right how can i make the servo traveling 180º, i saw some place to put some resistors in the pot (what is the pot) as i am Portuguese my enghish is not very good.

Luis Gabriel

The pot (potentiometer) is the variable resistor, when the servo arm move, the resitance of the pot change, indicating the position of the arm to the electronic circuit.

You will cut the two outside wire or leg and leave the central wire or leg untouch. You will add one 1Kohm resistor on each wire. So you should have two resistor when complete, one will be on left pot wire, and one on the right pot wire.

Is it clear?

Perfectliy clear thank, i have all ready buy that resistors but i am afraid that they are a litle big to my servo but i will do it.

Tomarrow i will (i hope) fly with my simple FPV equipment, but i as made i few chances since last wekend, a new 8dbi antena two servos in ailerons to make flaps to slow down the model, better light isolation in the my goggles BOXDVD, im realy ancious to that flights.

I sow in some forum talking about goggles Z800 are they good ?

...two servos in ailerons to make flaps to slow down the model

I wouldn´t use flaps at first. With them the min speed goes down but the stall behaviour is worse, and the bigger difference I see between FPV and normal flight is the evaluation of the speed and height.

Obviously that depends on the model tough...

BTW, if everyone who discovered FPV from VrFlyer videos would send him $1 he probably wouldn´t be rich, but may have a good dinner with his family :)

Andres,

Have you got a cristal ball ????

Because the excitement of FPV novilty i simply forget to fly visual first, and after take off i made a circuit and go for landing, wend i made the last turn with a very little speed and just a few meter of altitude, the airplane simple stall and i have no time to do anything, only see the grass it me very fast, (fortunely i am a vejetarian).

fortunely only minor damage in the airframe, one servo and the speed control burn.

After lunch and some work, again in the field this time with no flaps, i start to made some simple flight, but i can resist to start landing, than i made my full flight with my head inside de BOXDVD, just great, after that loops and rolls, very confusing, then the sun goes down and made the last landing with minor lights.

I have another question, the light hitting the prop are made horizontal lines in the screen and wend the sun goes down they stop. Is it normal ?

Do you know any place in Spain/Europe that sell good googles with an afortable price?