Sign in to follow this  
Mr.RC-Cam

Sony Digital Camera Recall

My Sony DSC-U20 Cybershot digital camera stopped working earlier this year. The CCD imager went dead, so all the photos are black. It sat on my desk until I decided to throw it away (what a shame, since this was a nice aerial photo camera).

But as luck would have it, I read an article in our local newspaper that mentioned a Sony digital camera recall. Apparently a couple of years ago they sold several camera models that had an endless number of CCD failures. A lawsuit forced them to offer a free repair to the affected models. Mine was one of them.

Long story short, I just got it back from the factory repair center. They installed a new CCD and it is good as new. Now I just have hack it again to re-install the CamMan-Sony R/C shutter switch (I discuss it here: www.rc-cam.com/cammsny.htm).

So, if you have a Sony digital camera, and it stopped working, then check the Sony web site for recall information. You are entitled to a free repair!

Timing is everything. I had put it in the junk bin for trash collection. Then later that morning I read the recall article in the business section of the local paper. The rest is history. :)