Mach62

Below freezing FPV flights?

I just set-up my Easystar with a fixed KX-131 and 500 mW transmitter. The plane is powered by a 2200 mah 3S but I used a separate 2S 730 mah lipo for the video tx with a voltage regulator to get it to 5V. The RX and video goggles are both powered by separate lipos.

Do any of you FPV guys have advice on how cold it can get before I risk a failure due to cold induced low voltage? (I am anxious to fly this thing but would hate to lose the signal and the plane)

Thanks.

Mac,

Everything I have ever seen about operating temperature of LiPo's state 32f to 140f as a discharging temp. (usually a little cooler max for charging) The easy star is a good insulator which is more often than not an issue for cooling as the discharging packs keep the electronics bay warm. I would try it above 32f and see how much warmer it is inside once you land, that way you can figure out a realistic minimum. Not too much less than freezing though. (If only for the sake of your fingers :P )

If you can wait, I will try my easystar up to -10C this winter, I will choose sunny days with no wind.

I flyed several time below freezing point with my video goggles, when it's cold, I let the headset under power all the time. When I don't wear it, I leave it inside the car. I only tried with glow planes engines.

With my Easystar, the Lipo will remains inside my jacket until they take-off. Battery heat by itself, I do not expect any problem. Receiver coud have problem, I insulated with sheets of foam. You probably already seen the mods I made to my planes to prepare it for winter:

http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?show...opic=1084&st=20

In winter flight, I fly continuously. When I take break, it's only for 10-15 min. so I will leave the Lipo inside the planes after a flight to kept warming the receiver and everything will be fine.

Welcome to Canada, if you want to move here, we have plenty of free space. Temperature up to -35C in winter... With wind, it's the closest place to feel like living in North pole :)

So -10C, it's still hot for us :)

I just set-up my Easystar with a fixed KX-131 and 500 mW transmitter. The plane is powered by a 2200 mah 3S but I used a separate 2S 730 mah lipo for the video tx with a voltage regulator to get it to 5V.

Do you have tried to plug the regulator directly on the Main Lipo ?

If you use a linear regulator, it will overheat with 3S, but if you use regulator from Dimension Enginering, it should work well.

Linear reg. work well also for 2S Lipo., I use a linear reg. in my easystar with one 2S 2100mAh.

Yes welcome to Canada! We have lots of FREEZE SPACE! Where VRFlyer lives, he has some of the worst winters so I guess he's got lots of cold flying experience! :lol:

I'll have to try the sheets of foam trick and putting the lipo's in my jacket too VRFlyer!!!

Thanks guys.

I had my first FPV flight today which was really interesting. I used the 70 degree FOV lens but will try the 90 FOV and 116 FOV this week-end. About half way through the flight, the image in my googles got blurry and I found the plane with my bare eyes and landed it - the screw on the KX131 was loose and the vibrations from the plane made the lens unscrew and it went out of focus. :o

VRflyer - I grew up in Montreal on the south shore. I live in Ottawa now so we are in the same boat in terms of the weather, lol. Your videos inspired me to get into this hobby. I have the Dimension Engineering regulator to drop it to 5.5 volts - if I get problems, I will hook it up to the main battery like you suggest.

So far just the fixed cam but I will get the gryo and servo mount module from Kilrah once I get used to flying this way.

Have a good week-end.

Edited by Mach62

VRflyer - I grew up in Montreal on the south shore. I live in Ottawa now so we are in the same boat in terms of the weather, lol.

Cool, so you know well the region, I'm glad to meet you.

I will take a guess. Is it a device to fly from within the house?

I would guess that it is a device to allow you to fly a model that is within *your* house when you are actually located at grandma's on the other side of town.

Either that, or it is a very sophisticated Christmas tree light switch. In that case, Santa will be very pleased.

Wouldn't you also need a long cable for an RC transmitter antenna so both RC & AV antennas can be stuck meters away outside while you sit comfortably inside?

I guess I should have explained :-)

It can be used for several things, one being flying (FPV) from within the warmth of your car during the cold winter months.

Since R/C transmitters aren't equipped with an external antenna connector, I relocated the RF Module into an external Alu case (RC-Cam, there is that box again :-).

One side of the box connects to the buddy box connector to access the PPM output, and the other side connects to a magnetic antenna mount, with whip length appropriate for the frequency band in use.

It could be used to fly from within a house I guess... but for that a magnetic antenna mount is not ideal.

For what it's worth, Lipo batteries perform pretty well in the cold. So do Nimh. Not Nicds though. As they get colder they can't spply the higher levels of current needed for max on your motor. I wouldn't think there should be a problem with the lower current draw of the AV system.

Dan

I'm not sure I'd agree that Nimh cells work well in the cold.. my heli (Swift16) won't even get off the ground with fully charged cold NiMh cells.

A high-current charge for a few minutes to warm them up before the flight, and its a whole different story.

It's evident if your leave your battery outside at -10C, the planes or helico will not work at power up. If the battery stay in the jacket and you plug the batt. just before take-off, temp will always stay well above freezing point.

In the winter, everything in my planes must always be power up, so one spare nimh battery will be plug if I want to take a long break, or for short break, I leave the lipo after a flight in the planes or put it inside my jacket if I want to heat myself :).

Edited by Vrflyer

Please take care if you are going to put batteries in your jacket. ;)

Terry

Well, If you don't leave too many screws in the same pocket and have decent connectors it should be okay :P

The only problems I have had with batteries below freezing so far is on my little 24 gram CMOS cam that has a tiny LIPO built in. After a few mins of flight, the voltage drops off so much that I start to get static on the recorded image.

For FPV, my separate 2 cell 730 mah has not had problems but I have only gone out on above freezing point days since I can't get the wife out in a field to spot and hold the ant. below freezing. I find the Easystar gets downwind pretty fast on me so I feel better having somebody watching it for me while I have the goggles on. But I imagine as I get better and better, I will get more daring and fly it without a spotter. I got a Parkzone Stryker set-up and will give that one a shot FPV since I think it will cut through the wind better but it also glides faster than the EZ. :o

Have any of you guys ever tried FPV on a high speed delta? I think I saw a clip of Denis with a Bob-E-Cat once.

No I did not begin to fly with my jet, so no clip. It's a BabyCat, smaller than Bobcat.

In winter if you use a second lipo for the cam, and the cam is a cmos with low power tx, they will not draw enough current to kept the battery warm, but with my planes, I use one batt onboard and the battery come very hot.