Terry

My 4way Diversity Receiver

Hi Terry,

No, I don't use it. I found the patch antennas to be not very good and as I now have an MFD tracker, it's redundant (but still complete).

I have 2.4GHz video on one model and everything else is now Sky-RF based 5.8Ghz.

Only been out twice this year, but moved house and the new 'man-cave' build is well under way. Should get a roof on it over the holiday period...

Then it will need some time to dry out so I can fit it out, maybe, just maybe, in a few weeks it might just be useable?

Trouble is, I need it as a temporary dry store whilst I decorate a couple of rooms.

Then, maybe I can have it to myself!

Steve has most of my models stored away for me.

Nigel.

Sorry you had trouble with the patches, I can show you some video I did with that at over a mile and no drops. I guess I may have had good results with it for the same reason I get good results without using CP aerials on 5.8Ghz!

I have only done 2 flights this year so Im doing no better than you but hope to do a few more next year.

Yeah Steve said he has been flying your planes..........

Just kidding I hope you get your work/play space sorted out soon, I know how hard it is to get anything done with only the kitchen table!

Terry

I just had a look at the old thread about the 500mW TX, very interesting to look back and see your thoughts back then!

One of the things I said back then was how multipath was intermittently a problem to my 5.8Ghz 4 way system. With this in mind I think it is an ideal candidate for a CP upgrade. I have reduced the problem by software changes but I would like to use the 4 way again as part of an AP travel set that I can keep with me when Im out on the road. This mean I will probably fly from some bad multipath areas and without CP it will glitch for sure.

I will update this when I have tried it :)

Terry

Well the 4 Way switcher has been given another chance of life with some little CP 5dBi patches. Not very compact but it will be interesting to see if this gives the 100% cure to the multipath problem that has been so hard to kill since going to 5.8Ghz.

A reasonable cure to multipath has be done in the software which basically holds switching aerials until a better signal has been received for 0.5 seconds but at times it still seems to be not enough.

I had been thinking of breaking the system up to use the receivers on other projects as my auto tracker has been faultless even at 3.5 miles but if this will give me a good picture up to a mile or so it will be worth keeping.

All I need is some good weather to test it!

post-16-0-83010200-1356967393_thumb.jpg

Definitely looks cool! Looking forward to hearing if it the CP upgrade helps improve your overall performance.

During your CP evaluation/testing there's an additional configuration I think you should try. Instead of the "backside" patch, use its receiver for the Omni Skew Planar Wheel (mounted at top, above the mechanics). This configuration may provide better short range (up to 1/2 mile) 360o coverage (with long range distance that has 270o coverage).

Yes I have been thinking of that for my auto tracking patch to give better over head coverage but to be fair it only really drops out when flying quite high. I will test this system to see how high overhead I have to fly to do the same!

I will just point out for anyone that may have an interest in this that this system is NOT a diversity system, it is just a 4 way auto switcher.

Terry

Edited by Terry

Well the 4 Way switcher has been given another chance of life with some little CP 5dBi patches. Not very compact but it will be interesting to see if this gives the 100% cure to the multipath problem that has been so hard to kill since going to 5.8Ghz.

We're all waiting for your report. :) Even if you haven't flown with it, I suspect you've fired it up in the lab. Has there been any hint of improvement in that worst-case environment?

Ha, I have been away on a training course all week and now have lots to catch up on at home. Funny I was just saying the same to a new FPV Guy that is testing his 1.3Ghz 40mW Twinstar today. The weather looks good too the first time in a long time!

I have tested it around the house and all seems well. Its hard to say but there do seem to be less breaks in the picture. The fields here are still flooded so may just wait until I can fly without wellies..

Terry

I agree, it would be best to wait for the flooded fields to dry up a bit. So take your time.