Hi

I have now got a decent camera in my plane and am now getting good quality goggle/ recorder images. I am using an Archos 500 to record these. My problem is that everytime I download these pictures to my pc, they crash the pc. Usually they will run for 20 seconds or so and then it all freezes or I get the BSOD.

I believe that the Archos 500 is used by several members of this forum. Any tips?

I currently have the Archos set at:

Source: composite

Format: Auto

Resolution: Optimal

Bitrate: 1500kb/s

Cheers

I guess the problem is on the PC side. Have you tried with another computer?

I too have an AV500, what exactly is the problem, you can't copy the avi files from the Archos because the PC crashes during transfer? or that the copied avi files crash the computer when they're played back?

If it's the latter then it sounds like codec problems, should be fairly simple to solve.

Edited by Haku

Hi Guys

Thanks for the interest.

The files copy across fine. They crash the computer when I play them. Generally after a few seconds of playing.

I have tried this on three Sony Vaio laptops, with the same result.

Generally I can play the videos you guys have been posting - although on one of the laptops anything to do with DivX crashes it.

By the way - I am hopeless with/have no interest in computers..... so any steers will need to be in simple language!

Also - if I ever get to this stage.... what is recommended for editing videos. I have Windows Movie Maker. Will that be ok for a muppet?

Cheers

Well, the Archos records in DivX format...

Try the program I linked to above. Solves most of the problems as it uses its own codecs rather than those installed on the system.

Movie Maker is OK, very easy to use (meant for everyone). That's supposing you manage to open the files :unsure:

Have any of you noted that the archos skips a second of the recording? It only happens to me when I´m recording my fpv flights, doesn´t happen with the docking station and recording from my satellite receiver.

Well, the Archos records in DivX format...

*cough* XviD *cough* ;)

My preferred 'codec' for installing on friends machines when I want to give them XviD or DivX avis (to only playback not encode) is the freeware ffdshow, it decodes a large range of video and audio formats without installing dozens of individual codecs, meaning it can be removed easily if required.

It also has a bunch of built-in video/audio filters so you can sharpen, smoothen, noise reduce, brightness/contrast/saturation/gamma etc. to the video whilst it's playing back.

ffdshow multi-codec decoder is available here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...?group_id=53761

If you want to edit and encode XviD then the free codec is here: http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

Wavess, yes I've noticed that when recording from cameras (various CMOS and CCD ones) that every so often it skips a second but I haven't noticed it when recording from a tv/sky/vhs type source, I'm guessing it's because the cameras don't output a perfectly timed signal and the tv/sky/vhs etc. does and the AV500 skips a second when it's trying to play timing catchup because it can't compensate for the non-perfectly timed signal. Just my theory, don't know if it's right or not.

Skips when? beginning, end?

It skips a second during recording (only with cameras) at seemingly random points, I haven't gone through any video clips yet to determine if the duration between the skip points is a constant or if it's random.

I just checked the FourCC of a video done by the Archos, I get DIVX...

I've never noticed that problem with the AV500. The AV400 did have problems with dropouts (hangups, broken files, missing parts,...), but the 500 never did such stuff to me.

Hi,

I forgot to mention: I did use VLC player to playback the files on one PC and unfortunately I still got the same problem.

I will try it on a friend's PC tomorrow and see what happens!

Thanks a lot for your help

Edited by Daytona

Hi Guys

Problem sorted. I've updated to Windows Media Player 11, and the video plays fine on all but one computer - which always has been cranky. So I'll use the others!

Hopefully I'll be posting the edited vid on here before long.

Cheers