Vrflyer

I tested inflight the tx/rx from AeroPix (Anhony)

AeroPix sent me a transmitter and receiver few weeks ago. Theses units are sold in kit, so components need to be weld to the PCB. For the transmitter, I use only heat shrink tubing to protect components, and I use a metallic case for the receiver. Antennas do not come with the kit.

AeroPix use the same transmitter and receiver as me, but in my tx/rx, components are weld or glue directly on the modules case. I always had doubt about my method…I try the tx/rx from AeroPix to see if I can detect any difference between their equipment and mine. Frankly I also had doubt about AeroPix tx/rx because the sma connector is not weld directly to the module case, it weld to the pcb.

I’m use to get video dropouts during my flights, I use 3dbi ordinary straight antenna on both tx & rx. When I use the 8dbi patch on the receiver, the video is a lot cleaner but I still get some video dropouts. I was thinking it was normal, but when I tried AeroPix equipment, I get a lot less video dropouts than normally and I used only 3dbi antennas on both tx/rx.

The transmitter was install onboard my planes, Easystar and the receiveir was install on a tripod 6 feet from the ground. I recorded a long (and dull) sequence in the first part of my video to show you how clean was the signal received, and in the second part, the planes fly very close and over the receiver antennas, normally I completely lost video for a brief time, last time it was better than normally.

You can see the video here:

http://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid=-18...728591372&hl=fr

Edited by Vrflyer

Anothony's DiY kit is a very affordable way to create a good video system. Yours looks like it came out great too. The aluminum case (beautiful extruded box) you used on your assembled Rx is the same one I'm using on my own design -- small world!

The receiver is made to fit in this case, so it was easy. It's amazing today the great choice of beautifull cases for DIY project.

Edited by Vrflyer

The receiver is made to fit in this case, so it was easy.

That's what I did too. The enclosure was perfect for this since the board just slides in. Given all the enclosures that are offered, it is amazing Anthony and I used the same one! For those that need a nice looking enclosure, the extruded designs from Hammond are reasonably priced and stocked by mouser.com and other vendors.

Below is a photo of how I dressed up the case for my design. I apologize for taking the Aeropix discussion off topic; I will start up a new discussion when I can talk about what is inside the box.

post-5-1166641356_thumb.jpg

Hello Denis,

Did you do a range test on the Aeropix transmitter?

It seems to be solid transmitter, with clear image.