Sign in to follow this  
UtahRaptorHelicam

Question for Mr. RC Cam

Mr.RC Cam, as you know I copied your RC CAM4 project and the results are good, the problem I have with the whole system is that I get break lines in my video regardless of the channel I am on. During my build I ordered two of the GP-KX121 camera cables (one for back up) after the project I did an inventory of all the parts I had left on my desk and I found that I had a spare cable and the old Tuna Can transmitter / Reciever set up from the orginal cam I bought off of E-Bay.

The transmitter from that system is about the size of a dime and has a microphone as well. I started fiddleing with it and ended up connecting the GP-KX121 cable to the transmitter and adding a 4.8 volt JR connector to it. Just for giggles I checked output voltage at the cam cable connector and found 4.8 volts so I hooked the cable to the board camera. With the GPP patch ant. that I made to adapt to the Tuna Can reciever I cranked everything up and to my surprize I got a great picture! I got real curious and had my son take the camera in the next room and found that I had a clear sharp picture with no line breaks.

I looked at the data sheet for the Tuna can camera and it operates between 900MHZ ~ 1200MHZ with 50mw ~ 200mw strength. My question is should I get better performance from the x10 hack than this tiny cheap system?

I am going to conduct air trials with both rigs to determine the best performer.

I will also get some pictures of the two systems up on the web so you can visually see what I am talking about.

Best regards,

If you post some links to your videos then someone should be able to offer good advice.

In general, if the breakups occur at short range in a urban environment then it is likely multipath issues (reflected signals). Or it could be interference from some microwave device (oven, phone, wireless LAN, etc) in your immediate operating area.

Otherwise it is a RF power issue; the hacked XCam is only a 1mW to 5mW RF transmitter. With well placed antennas and a clear unobstructed environment, decent operation is good for up to 400 feet or so. Some folks added the Linx 50mW RF amp to the Xcam Tx and liked the results (much longer range). There are a few threads and photos at the old RC-CAM site that describe the basic amp mod.

Please keep in mind that posts with "Question for Mr. RC Cam" might not get any attention from other forum members. That is why they should be avoided.