Sign in to follow this  
Mach62

Archos 604 Disappointment - can you help?

I just came back from Bestbuy with the Archos 604. I bought it for the purpose of recording my FPV flights. It came with a DVR station with inputs and outputs and the salesman told me that I would be able to record in the field with the rechargable battery in the Archos. Well, I found out upon openning it that the DVR station must be powered separately from the Archos recorder/player, which means I now need yet another battery and voltage regulator to feed that thing 5.2 volts and 2 amps. I am going to return it because it is just too much trouble, especially in the winter.

I want a simple recorder that has a built in battery for recording from my RX and then feeding the image to my video goggles, something without a big docking station that I can chuck in my coat pocket. Can anybody suggest one for me? Thanks.

Edited by Mach62

I hear you on the new '04 range that Archos have brought out, the need for docking stations to enable it to do almost anything other than watch video on it's own screen is ridiculous, I was eyeing the 160gb unit but decided I'll stick with my AV500 - at least I can make a custon AV cable for that :)

The 404/504/604 range does have a "DVR Travel Adapter" which is still a dock (surely if you're travelling you want a cable not a dock, stupid Archos) but is smaller and doesn't require input voltage to use it like the "DVR Station" to record video.

I don't know how the new range compares to the AV500 & AV700 in terms of inputting and outputting video at the same time, the AV500/AV700 can input+output at the same time but the output signal has been processed by the unit and there's noticable lag, to record and view a remote camera with LCD glasses you'd need a video splitter (which boosts the output signals, not just a Y adaptor) or two receivers.

Haku is right, you need to exchange your docking station with a "Travel adapter".

Thanks. Hmm, I had not even thought about the lag due to processing, that would really put a crimp in the flight if you are flying FPV. Well, in that case, maybe I should just get a video splitter and send one signal to my laptop and one to my goggles. But then I need to power the video splitter with another battery, argggh! :angry:

I noticed that VRflyer had a cheap unit called "Cavalry Pocket Player" that he seemed to be using but it does not seem available anymore.

It shares a common plug for input and output. You wouldn't be able to do as you intend either.

Looking into composite video splitters the only ones I've seen that don't run off mains power need 12v but I'm sure there's a circuit out there that will run off 5v you could build up or get someone to build, that way it could just run off USB power if you're intending to use your PC to record.

As well as the video lag of watching video that has been sent through the AV500 there's the issue of image quality, the picture quality is degraded because of the conversion to digital 640x480 resolution and then back to (720x480 NTSC, 720x576 PAL) analogue and more importantly it's been deinterlaced so for PAL you essentially get 25fps instead of 50fps (interlaced) and NTSC is 29.97 instead of 59.94 (interlaced).

Okay that is very helpful. I think the best bet is to therefore just run two receivers, one to the laptop to record and the other to my goggles. That would be a very inexpensive solution and I won't have to worry about the issue of lag or quality degradation.

I prefer the buffer, as you'll see what you record. If you intend to film specific images and use 2 separate receivers you'll often end having a dropout on the recording where you didn't have one live... If you see it live you know it has screwed, and you can do the same again to get a clean image.

A buffer often won't be more expensive than a second receiver/antenna set.

Sorry, old thread, I know, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I use my Archos 604 wifi for recording and have had good success with it (using the travel adapter). Plus it's a great unit for traveling!