Mr.RC-Cam

Lightweight Pan and Tilt Mechanism

Thanks everyone for the positive remarks. Those help keep me motivated. :)

The assembly instructions should help show more details to the Pan and Tilt device:

REV B Release: <Click Me!>

REV C Release: <Click Me!>

Price is $32 USD plus shipping ($4.35 for Con-USA deliveries, $11 international). Please PM me (don't use email) if you want to order one.

Edited by Mr.RC-Cam

I would imagine that some of you have already received the Pandora Kit and are prepared to build it. If you don't mind, would you please note any documention issues, as you work your way through the build, then report the doc "bugs" to me. That way I can clean up any goofiness in the instructions. Even reporting a simple typo error is appreciated.

In any event, if you run into any build snags then please let me know; I'll do my best to help out.

I have been asked by a couple of folks on what is the best Tilt servo to use in the project. My instructions specify a Generic "9-Gram" servo. But if you want to go first class, I recommend the Hitec HS-65HB. It has sufficient travel range and is very robust servo for its small size. The long half-arm that Hitec includes is ideal too (no need to use the special fiberglass arm that is provided in the Pandora kit).

BTW, do not use this servo for the Pan axis; the Hitec HS-81 is best for that.

I am very pleased with the design, workmanship, and packaging of the Pandora kit.

I chose to solder it together and that worked very well. I used a 20 Watt iron.

I will mount the system on my Easy Star. By the way - the Pandora and the KX-131 camera weigh about 3 oz.

Thank you for the positive report and kind words (it is the very first feedback I have received). Hopefully others will report on their Pan & Tilt kit building success too. BTW, user photos of the mount installed in their model would be grand!

UPDATE: I'm all sold out for now. I'm looking forward to some feedback to the kits that have been sent out.

Edited by Mr.RC-Cam

Great kit.

I received the SMT parts from Mouser this morning. Took about 20 minutes of soldering with a 27watt 1/16 " chisel tip iron and the regulator was functioning 5.1 V out. Going to install it in the bottom of my 6' E Telemaster just ahead of the gear. This mount is tiny and the whole installation came in under 3 ounces with an old 161 uncased camera.

I would like two more mounts and several of the regulator boards. They are neat and I have other installations that could benefit from the size.

You hit another winner.

Thanks Mr RC-Cam.

Going to install it in the bottom of my 6' E Telemaster just ahead of the gear.

That's where mine is going too. Pandora's red color theme was courtesy of the Electro Telemaster. Any chance you can post some photos of Pandora mounted on the ETM? It is always nice to see what folks are doing with such things.

I would like two more mounts and several of the regulator boards. They are neat and I have other installations that could benefit from the size.

I'll have more Pandora kits in a few weeks. At this point I'm just hanging until more feedback is received. As far as Vregs go, I don't have extras. However, have you seen this low cost VReg that I offered long ago? It is still avail.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449728

I also have a nice switcher design in the works (up to 15V in, 5V out @ 900mA). But, it is stacked up behind a million other things that need to get done so that I can put food on the table (these little hobby projects work against that goal. ;) .

Forgot about the VReg Board. Have to see if I have the parts and I'll get back to you.

Don't have the Pan&Tilt installed yet hence no pictures yet, but here is what I'll be replacing. This housing has been used on four projects to date and has served me well from Pan &Tilt in the wing of a Rascal 110 to the present. Your mounts will change all of that.

Thanks again.

Joe

post-5-1171732035_thumb.jpg

Edited by joekadet

I still have not received my Pandora kit, I think you shipped it to my home address instead of my college address I asked for it to be shipped to (twice):( If so, I might not see it for a very long time.

I still have not received my Pandora kit, I think you shipped it to my home address instead of my college address I asked for it to be shipped to (twice) If so, I might not see it for a very long time.

It was delivered Feb 10. I shipped it using the Midland address provided with the payment. That was not correct? If not, then PM me and we will work something out.

I expect to have more Pandora kits towards the end of the month. I will announce availability in this thread.

I'm new in this field...and i'm doing this for my final year project

I really2 interested your pan-tilt design..very2 marvellous.

can i also ask you to provide it with the most suitable camera for the pan tilt (and of course a reliable price)...coz i dont know so much about this...

can i also ask you to provide it with the most suitable camera for the pan tilt (and of course a reliable price)...

Sorry, but I don't have any spare cameras to sell.

I'm new in this field...and i'm doing this for my final year project

I really2 interested your pan-tilt design..very2 marvellous.

can i also ask you to provide it with the most suitable camera for the pan tilt (and of course a reliable price)...coz i dont know so much about this...

KX-131 and KX-151 are good cameras for it, they are less than 1"x 1" inch squared, great cameras, you will not find anything better or equal quality for the price.

You can find them here: http://www.blackwidowav.com/index.html

I just bought a second KX 131 (KPC-S226CB) today from PC Surveillance, and I think I just recruited a really good guy from there to our fourm! :lol:

The Rev-C Pandora Kit is now available from the http://www.dpcav.com site.

Rev C Instruction manual: <Click Me!>

Note: Do NOT use Rev-B manual with the Rev-C kit!

The Rev-C kit now includes the Dubro Mini EZ Connector, which saves you a trip to the hobby store.

EDIT: Regulator no longer available.

Lastly, a fully assembled Rev-C regulator board is available from dpcav.com as an option. It must be ordered with the Pandora Kit (one Vreg per kit) and is not available separately. For those of you that are using the KX-131 on a 6V-9V battery pack, it's a very convenient 5V power source for it. And since it mounts next to the camera, the DC power is fresh as a daisy. Keep in mind that it cannot be used to power your video Tx due to their higher current demands.

The assembled Rev-C Voltage Regulator looks like this:

post-5-1174545076_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr.RC-Cam
Regulator not available

Mr. RC-CAM your Pandora P&T system has led me to optimise my system. Remove one servo screw and two connectors and the P&T head comes off the aircraft. Neat! That led me to look at my set up, and this is what I came up with:

#1 P&T Head

#2 Power Module

#3 Transmitter Module

This picture is of the rough mock up. I am working on pictures of the final layout, and will write "what I did" posts for #1, #2, and #3 over the next several days if that is OK with you.

joe

post-5-1175539615_thumb.jpg

What has this system done for me?

In the past moving camera and transmitter positions meant major rewires, headaches and long waits in between. As well too many things changed and I had trouble figuring out what was helping and what was hurting.

Now I can move the transmitter with its regulated power supply and signal source and the only thing that changes is the power/signal bus "off the shelf heavy duty servo extensions". We do this all the time with our aircraft control system. Why not the video system? Surprise it worked on the bench. So far I have not had any glitches and my video quality is the same as before. Next I need to fly it.

Next #1 P&T head. This got me started.

Joe

post-5-1175543013_thumb.jpg

Edited by joekadet

I am working on pictures of the final layout, and will write "what I did" posts for #1, #2, and #3 over the next several days if that is OK with you.

I'm always interested in how these gadgets are used. :)