wallaguest1

That Could be a cool project

hi, im new and is awesome what some people do, thats great to see people doing nice projects.

i dont know if thats posible, is it?

i mean: we need a gyro in the head to move the camera,

and my idea is to add a second gyro to the plane to detect when it's balanced.

well i know it's not fully, necessary but could be great to see in the glasses a pic in the corner that show you a virtual "balance line" i dont know the real name in englih so i will post a image, =)

is that possible? what do you think about that¿?

fig_263.gif

[url=http://imageshack.us]upupwl6.png

by the way, wht means the numbers that appears in that video in front of the plane?

I think you are looking at the altimeter.

Adding a AH has been talked about a lot in the past, the problm is to make one that is very small and light and dose not need calibrating every 2 min. The best you can do if you want one is to have a look at MR RC-CAM's HUD version. Try a search on this forum.

Terry

18 pages: http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?show...pic=294&hl=MAHI ;)

It works very well, but actually where I would use an AHI is in "IFR conditions", where the IR sensors wouldn't work :P

The problem is indeed that consumer grade electronic gyros are way too imprecise to keep the needed long-term stability. Of course UAV's and full size use functional units, but the price tag gets a couple more zeros in the process... for now ;)

Standard gyros usually drifts in excess for this purpose. IR sensors show low accuracy as demonstrated by Cyber-fly video compared with a true inertial system.

May be a good starting point could be to modify the AHI to make it work based on the Robbe heli command stabilization system. I´m not sure how it works but as it can memory the hovering position of an heli before a short calibration stage and remember this position/attitude after several 3D manoeuvres I think it could be a good starting point at a cost of 3 times over a FMA sensor but 10 times less than a true inertial unit.

My two cents

Elossam

Im not sure why you want AHI ? I find the live video feed is the best RHI :)

Terry

It works very well, but actually where I would use an AHI is in "IFR conditions", where the IR sensors wouldn't work :P

This, an altimeter and a distance/heading to home indication, and nothing stops you from flying anymore ;)

what about add compass ball glued next to the altimeter in the video?

you need just to paint a horizontal line at the middle of the ball,

well i know, it's not the best solution and you can't see a profesional small image in the corner of the video glasses,

but can be helpfull when you land in FPV

will that work?

(sorry about my bad english level, im from spain)

592026.jpg

be_2.JPG

Edited by wallaguest1

I'm not brave enough to fly IFR :(

Wallaguest, the ball would follow G forces so would not help much.

Terry

Terry yes, it will follow g force,

so you can always know if the plane is balanced or not, bcos compas will stay always plane.

the single moment when you will not know how the plane is, is when it's inverted, but you can deduct it just with the image.

sky up, ground down :P

Yes you can use it in place of a slip ball, I thought you wanted it as a AHI. As you say you can deduct most of the aircrafts attitude from the image, I fly much better from 'in the aeroplane'.

Terry

It seems he wants it as an AHI, but he doesn't get that in a correct turn it won't move at all and stay parallel to the screen edge.

Yes, after reading his posts again I think you are right Kilrah.

Terry

Have a little wire mast with some trailing string pointing at another wire mast with a white ball on the end. The string shows side-slip, angle of attack. Used on first world war aircraft!

lol, well i was thinking a 2 or 3 axis magneto would be able be suitable for telling the pitch and roll of the aircraft. I remember reading an article about 2 weeks ago from a Phd student at Aydney university. He had a uav that was using magneto's to read the pitch, yaw and direction of the aircraft for self-righting/leveling.

If you can self right/level from it you can get the angle that it is on - which can then be dislayed as an artificial horizon. You'd need a fair bit of programming as well as a video processing IC to help you out, but with some work you'd be able to get exactly what your after i believe.

Ahh yes I remember that, sort of expanded magnrtic gyro. I think it should work ok but I dont know how small and light you could make it and it would be a lot of work for sure.

Terry

I'm a bit lost on this one. Do you fellows mean "Magnetometer" or "Magneto-Resistive Sensor?" Those I can relate to. Do you have a link to the article?

Yes I was confused too but lucky I remember the web site. Sorry I cant find it now but the basic idea was to use the earths magnetic field to control the plane with 3 sensors ( I dont remember what type ). It seemed to work well but needed a fair bit of computing to give propper control. I dont see why it could not be used to drive an AHI.

Terry

I'll look through my gtalk history when i get to work, it was a co-worker who sent me the link so i should be able to find it pretty quick :)

It measured the earths magnetic field with a 3 axis "magneto", i'm assuming like the ones on spark fun under "magneto". I wasn't aware there was anything but a magnetometer. This gives heading, roll and pitch which when coupled with GPS allows level flight and self righting between waypoints.

It did look incredibly cool, but i think that an AHI wouldnt be a problem.

Thanks for the link. Their solution uses a three axis magnetometer (magneto-resistive sensor) and three axis accelerometer. And, a magic brew of software.