Sign in to follow this  
Andres

More sources for PCB mount SMA connectors?

Hi

I want to build a GP Patch, but when I´m going to order the PCB mount connectors I´ve found both webs (Mouser and DigiKey) want to charge me for 4 connectors more than $60 :blink::angry:

Anyone knows any european site to buy them? or not european, with reasonable shipping charges I´d be happy.

Thanks in advance

Andres

Thanks, but the same problem like every shop I´ve asked, only females for PCB :(

If I don´t find it, what would be better, a not PCB connector or a PCB female with an adaptor, or neither of the two?

That's not the same connector, it has no thread and is 75 Ohm instead of 50.

I give up :(

Do you think is worth paying more than $10 for each connector or using a standard (not PCB) connector or male PCB with female-female adapter may work?

Do you think is worth paying more than $10

In the USA, the part sells for $6-$9 USD depending on the vendor. Unfortunately, it is not a cheap connector.

What did Mouser quote you, with shipping via US Postal?

I don´t remember the detailed prices of each one, but the one whose connectors are cheaper have a more expensive shipping cost (international). Finally, both Mouser and Digikey prices were between $60-$65 with shipping cost (4 connectors).

That´s around $16 for each one :(

I´ve seen a thread were someone built a GPP with a not PCB connector were you advised him to trim the connector to avoid it protuding to the other side. If I remember correctly you said any modification from the original design may have it´s influence to the performance of the patch, and that´s the reason I´m not sure what would be the better alternative for theese connectors.

But I want a good patch, if you say me that would hurt it´s perfomance, I´ll order them :)

Many thanks

Andres

Other similar connectors or adapters could be used if you observe the strict microwave antenna construction requirements. I find that many folks are not experienced with making such choices (or the willingness to chance it). So, I tend to avoid recommending experimentation (except for extreme hardship cases). It sounds like you have no choice but to sub the part on your four antennas.

If its any help I designed my patch with an 'N' type connector and it was a perfect match with this but since then I have built versions with SMA connectors and direct co-ax. Both these result in a less than perfect match but both work fine when used for real connected to a receiver. So I would not panic :)

Terry

Other similar connectors or adapters could be used if you observe the strict microwave antenna construction requirements.

The problem is I don´t know those requirements :(

I can imagine some basics, but probably I´ll miss something.

Terry, I don´t panic, it´s only that there´s nothing that makes me angry more than realice there´s something better than the solution I choosed, after buying/building :angry: . That´s the reason I like to ask a lot before making any decision ;)

I´m going to use a standard SMA male connector (not PCB). I think with some dremmelling should work fine.

As always, any other advise will be welcome :)

Thanks all

Andres