Sign in to follow this  
script

Range Video System

Hello, I am interested in buying this system and I had a few questions.

I have a wood construction Tower Trainer 40 nitro airplane with a Futaba 4FV Transmitter.

I shouldn’t have an issue placing the TX in the rear section of the plane so 30" of separation is moist likely possible, if not than nearly possible. What kind of loss am I looking at here? Will I still be able to control the plane when it’s in eyesight?

I was wandering if anyone has any idea of the general range of the "RangeVideo" system? What can I expect for distance if I get the Patch antenna?

Flying the plane out of eyesight seems very risky, and in a city like where I live I would not ever do it, but I want to make sure that the system will have enough range to broadcast clean video wile the plane is within eyesight.

And just to clarify, do I need to keep the transmitters away from each other or the two antennas? Because I currently run my receivers antenna to the rear of the plane outside pinned on the rudder. If I put the TX back there the transmitters themselves would have a good bit of distance however the antennas would be fairly close to one another.

My radio receiver on all my planes was always very close to 2.4ghz tx, antenna very close too. Try it, make a range test before take-off, you should walk 25 steps.

Expect a range of severals kilometer with a 3dbi whip on the planes and 14 dbi on the receiver, but 14dbi have a very narrow angle of reception, it's hard to kept in line with the planes when we don't see the planes. 8dbi patch is better. If you stay within vbisual range, even with the better antenna availabl, you will always have some video interruption. Do not expect a perfect transmission, it's not possible unless you have someone who point high gain antennas (like 14dbi patch or Yagi antenna) in the direction of the plane all times.

Flying the plane out of eyesight seems very risky, and in a city like where I live I would not ever do it, but I want to make sure that the system will have enough range to broadcast clean video wile the plane is within eyesight.

As already said, clean video is very unlikely, and as you intend to fly in the city its even less likely. I dont recomend flying in the city but if you do please choose a light plane and stay close in (500m MAX). At this range a 100mW TX will give very good results with an 8db patch. If there are close buildings a diversity receiver would be the best answer. Watch out for wireless broardband users too, they can realy ruin your signal.

Terry