Sign in to follow this  
Flutter

Garmin Geko 301. Any good?

Now I have considered a couple of different HMDs. Seems like I will go for the Glasstron or Olymus Eye-trek. Next on my list is the GPS unit. (Ordered my TinyTrackIII today)I would like to get the Garmin Geko 301. It has a barometic alltitude sensor and electronic compass. Seems to be a good choise for my RPV/UAV project.

Has anyone of you tried the Geko 301 (or the Geko 201)?

Best wishes, Flutter

Has anyone of you tried the Geko 301 (or the Geko 201)?

I use the Geko 301 on my UAV, I love it. It works great, much better

than the E-trex I was using, but the cables are the same! :)

Heres the UAV I am currently using to demonstrate UAVs on the CHEAP:

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dl...oupid=88932&ck=

Edited by KE4UVQ

I have bought a pair of Olympus Eyetrek on Ebay. Hopefully I will get them in the end of the week. I can't wait to try them out! (Slow stick will be my test bed...then maybe the Cub will be in for a try or the Laser Arrow....My dream is to fly my Byron Sabre DF...Well,its a dream....)

I just wonder how bad the resolution is. They say that 180.000pixels isn't very good.....

Flutter

And KE4UVQ nice site...

Thanks! Its not bad for free! :D

Let us know how the Eye trek works, Ive been eyeing that device,

of course the price.....repels!!! :lol:

If they are 180k, they must be an older model... I thought eyetrek had much higher res?

My LC glasses are 180,000 and they are just as clear as standard TV. I have read that 180k is fine for analog video, but bad for small fonts on VGA. You can see a small amount of pixelation if your looking for it, but IMO 180k is more than adequate for RPV.

My Eye Trek FMD250W has 240K res. I'm told it is about the same, or slightly better, than the CX161 and KX121 board cameras we use, so it is an almost perfect match for our systems. No need to go to a higher res display as you won't benefit from it, unless you replace your board camera with a camcorder. You'll have no trouble flying with these glasses, especially in Wide mode (16:9). I believe Glastrons are only capable of standard 4:3, which leaves you feeling like you have tunnel vision.

Bruce

Well, I received my EyeTreks today. I have tried them out on my DVD player,tv and a video. The video was from a flight with my motor glideplane and I can't wait to do a live flight with these glasses. Of course the resolution could be better and I can understand that working with a document on a pc would be kind of hard but for viewing while flying with my WirelessVideoCamera equipment shouldn't be a problem.

Only thing is that I have to get some sort of shades to keep sunlight out! Whats your solutions to this problem?

Flutter

Forgot one question: Does anyone know what battery I can use on the Controller to the Olympus EyeTrek FMD-200? Looks like it could be the kind that is used for videocameras. I guess I can make a batt.pack that connects to the 7.5volt input.

Only thing is that I have to get some sort of shades to keep sunlight out! Whats your solutions to this problem?

I fashioned a hood out of 4mm black opaque sponge mat I found in a hardware store. I fitted it around the glasses and cut the edges to fit my face. It's easy to cut but won't fold at all so joints had to be made butt style with black CA glue. Velcro attaches it on the front of the glasses but the self-stick kind won't stick for long. I will be sewing the velcro on shortly to rectify this.

Regarding power, I use an LM7808 8 volt reg soldered and covered with heat shrink right on the power line going to a 12V gel cel. The rating is for 7.5 volts but the power tx that came with the glasses actually measured over 10 volts so 8 volts won't hurt it.

Bruce