Sign in to follow this  
Mr.RC-Cam

SMD Footprints

Does anyone have a link to a extensive SMD footprint library? I usually have to dig into the mfg's data sheet and try to figure out the required PCB pad layout from their mechanical drawings. A convenient catalog of recommended layouts for common footprints would be grand.

I've searched, but what I have found over the years has not helped me much. I bet one of you has something worthy.

Do you mean just the size and shape on paper or something to import into a program ?

Terry

I've found some libraries online, that are not free. TI had libraries available through my.TI, but they were only for Cadence Allegro, Mentor Boardstation or Mentor PADS-PowerPCB formats. darned if I can find any mention of it now...

Since I don't use any of those PCB packages, I then searched for PCB library translators. They're more expensive than the PCB libraries I found first!

Which PCB software do you use?

tom

Do you mean just the size and shape on paper or something to import into a program ?

Yes, size/shape of recommended SMD footprint on paper.

Which PCB software do you use?

I use Protel. However, at this point I'm trying to find a trusted single source of dimensioned drawings for all the SMD packages. I can take it from there.

But, a Protel library file would be grand too. I have lots of them now, but they don't cover all that I need.

Edited by Mr.RC-Cam

Not that it helps you, since you are using Protel, but I finally figured out where I had seen the TI footprints.

- Find the TI part that uses the same footprint you need.

- On the page for the part, go to the table labelled "Pricing/Packaging/CAD Design Tools/Samples"

- In the "CAD Design Tools" column will be links for the packages.

- Clink the link for the package you want and a window will pop up with the three formats that TI has decided are the most popular:

Cadence Allegro v13.6+

Mentor Boardstation v8.7+

Mentor PADS-PowerPCB v3.5+

Like I said, that doesn't really help unless you're using one of those PCB tools, or you have access to translator software that will convert it to whatever you are using. I don't recall if any version of Protel had that ability.

I assume you've already tried:

http://www.altium.com/Community/Support/Libraries/

Let us know what you find.

tom

Yes, I have all the compatible libraries from there. There are some user created libraries too floating around, but are horrible attempts.

I had this site passed on to me I dont know if it helps.

http://landpatterns.ipc.org/default.asp

That sort of utility would be perfect. Too bad the free download is a cripple/demo version. There is enough functionality to offer some good help though.

Thanks for the help!