Sign in to follow this  
Mark Harris

Using brushless motor as generator

Sure it would. I used a generator made out of brushless motor for 3 years on my heli without a problem.

Would this work?

3phase-bridge.png

I think it would work, but this would be the right configuration in order to make it work.

post-6-1168315289_thumb.jpg

Edited by wilson

Looking at the coils, it would look like this.

Off course other configuartions will work also, but you have to consider three parameters: Available Power, Speed, and Torque. Once you know any two of these, you can calculate the third by using the following equation: P (watts)=(Torque (in-oz) x Speed (rpm).

post-6-1168315520_thumb.jpg

If you read the site where those images come from, you'll note that the design shown there is a single phase, you can also tell from the fact that there are only two leads.

However, i am dealing with 3 phase motors, which is pretty much what all of our RC motors are :)

http://www.stanford.edu/~hydrobay/lookat/pmg.html

Anyone know what sort of diodes i'd require (amp wise?)

It depends on the amps you intend to draw. If your regulator is set to say 2A then 3A fast diodes would be my choice.

Terry

Mark, I think your circuit would work, however it's not the most efficient rectifier. It looks like what you propose is the equivalent of half-wave rectification on a single phase circuit.

A more efficient method would be to wire the coils into a wye (a.k.a. star) formation and fully rectify the three phases. Here's a website with a circuit diagram to explain it better

http://services.eng.uts.edu.au/~venkat/pe_...s1/ch05s1p1.htm

Cheers,

Simon

The circuit is basically the same. Diodes are already far enough efficient for the intended use. The linked method would require a control unit triggereing the SCR's at the desired moment. Overkill just to get a DC voltage for powering auxiliary stuff...

I've made a 1kW generator with a big brushless motor and a 6-diode rectifier. With this power, just don't forget the heat sink :)

I mail order everything :)

Terry

We have the shops which stock everything in the CBD, the only other place to order from is US/UK which is pretty expensive for 6 diodes :)

Thanks for all the advice guys, i wont be re-wiring the motor as i want to keep it as a motor :)