Sign in to follow this  
Delcam

Got my license!

Mr RC-Cam,

thanks to your forum and the repeated message that one should have a HAM license to operate the airborne video equipment on 2.4 GHz, I studied for some time and did the exam. I passed with only one faulty answer and hence got my full license as an amateur radio operator! My call sign is PH7JDE.

Thanks a lot for the encouragement on this and the previous forum!

Delcam PH7JDE, the Netherlands

Congratulations. My henpecking paid off! ;)

Do you feel that what you learned during your studying will enhance your wireless video efforts? Was the effort as hard as you thought it would be?

I ask because there are some folks who seem to go out of their way to find ways to avoid getting a ham license. My opinion is that if that same effort went into a little bit of studying, the resulting ham license will take care of the legal issues. And the new ticket holder will know a little bit more and might be better prepared to handle the basic RF stuff.

Now that you are a ham you get to help spread the word to others that it is a good thing to have.

Mr RC-Cam, Thomas,

It took me a week of concentrated studying in the evening to get a grip on the electronics part and I made an audio cassette to play in the car driving to and from my work to learn the legal stuf and regulations as required. I got the 400 page book from the Dutch Radio Amateur League and read it completely without studying the details first some weeks ago and the week before the exam was the week mentioned above. The exam was 50 multiple choice questions. 6 on regulations and law, the remainder on technical matters. I had one fault.

It wasn't hard to do but I like to hobby on electronics so I knew a thing or two before..(no fancy stuff however)

Most importantly: YES IT DOES HELP TO UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE DOING WHILE WORKING WITH THE AIRBORNE VIDEO. Especially that most important info on antennae (it is a latin word after all) became a lot clearer to me.

I can highley recommend your standpoint in this matter: the fun is even bigger with a license!

To give some additional info: technical stuff is NOT my line of work. I am a colo-rectal surgeon by profession and work in an university hospital. I am 55 years old so school has been a long time ago....learning doesn't come as easy as it used to.

Greetings, Delcam PH7JDE

I agree, the antenna info is perhaps the most important technical part. The small amount of theory that is exposed while studying is good stuff to know.

I am having troubles finding out if i NEED a license or not?

running a 200mW 2.4ghz Transmitter, on the GROUND.. no Aireal ? I can't seem to find the "Wattage" / License Requirements.. :=)