Vrflyer

My new video goggle setup

I received my new video goggle few week ago. This headset is very small and very light, I want my new video setup to stay very simple to use, but I learn true time the best reception is not to install video receiver on my head but it will perform better if I install it on a tripod. I don't want to be hook with a wire to the tripod, so I will go for a wireless setup.

My idea is to transmit the video from the planes on channel "X" and receive it on the receier on the tripod and retransmit the signal on another channel "Y" to a small receiver that I will wear on my pant belt.

post-8-1168750613_thumb.jpg

On top the receiver receive video from the planes, the wire are plug to the video transmitter between the tripod legs, and the video signal is retransmit on the channel “Y” to receiver on my belt. A video recorder will be install also on the tripod for recording of every flight. I will use my low resolution Cavalry video recorder for everyday flight, and Archos AV500 for higher quality video. I can start the recorder and let it record for long period of time.

post-8-1168751057_thumb.jpg

The video headset need sunshade for outside use. No sunshade look to be available for now, so I made my own. I use thin plastic sheet cut, glue and paint it to fit the headset.

post-8-1168751294_thumb.jpg

I install the Gyrocontrol from RC-Tech on my hat, the gyro wire is plug into the Futaba radio buddy port as usual. I can remove my hat without having to unplug the gyro or remove my video goggle, this is very convenient.

Video goggle can be fold an put in my t-shirt pocket, so I will not have to unplug or remove the headset.

post-8-1168751832_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vrflyer

So I think I have a very nice setup presently, very lightweight and convenient to use. And also it look beautifull with the red color. I think some of you will be jalous :)

post-8-1168752430_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vrflyer

Brillant idea VRFlyer! at the moment I have a tripod set up as well and I feel like a dog leashed up to this three legged thing.

PS....

Yeah I'm jealous of your new shiny red setup :lol:

Edited by JMS

So I think I have a very nice setup presently, very lightweight and convenient to use. And also it look beautifull with the red color. I think some of you will be jalous :)

As always....VERY VERY nice setup and a great idea ! What type of tx/rx did you use for setting up the channel "Y" link from the std video rx under the tripod to your new video goggles?

Thx...

ob1

I received my new video goggle few week ago. This headset is very small and very light, I want my new video setup to stay very simple to use, but I learn true time the best reception is not to install video receiver on my head but it will perform better if I install it on a tripod. I don't want to be hook with a wire to the tripod, so I will go for a wireless setup.

My idea is to transmit the video from the planes on channel "X" and receive it on the receier on the tripod and retransmit the signal on another channel "Y" to a small receiver that I will wear on my pant belt.

Hello Denis,

It's good to see you around.

Are you going to use a second transmitter to retransmit in 2.4Ghz too, but different channel?

I have tried it but I had problem with video drops, mainly when the plane was passing close to me.

Well let me know. :)

Au revoir

Edited by wilson

Looks pretty good :)

I am quite jelous of you and you very cool setup!

Can we see some more video now, please?

Yes can we see more video please? :unsure:

Hello Denis,

It's good to see you around.

Are you going to use a second transmitter to retransmit in 2.4Ghz too, but diffrent channel?

I have tried it but I had problem with video drops, mainly when the plane was passing close to me.

Well let me know. :)

Au revoir

Hmm nice to know about that since I was about to attempt that idea myself.

<_<

That depends on the tx power, and for that setup he only need to transmit to a few meters, so I guess will use some low power tx (10mw?)

Dennis, you always have any new and innovative idea that anyone out there, thanks for sharing :D

thank you everyone.

First I would like to do a winter video, but I have so rarely a good weather, my last flight was 3 weeks ago... Today I will try a flight test to see if the tripod idea work.

I have many transmitter but all work on 2.4GHZ and are 500mW.

The range video transmitter is onboard the planes, it will operate on channel 8 and the second transmitter will operate on channel 1. I would prefer a low power tx for retransmition. You can see on the photo, the tx between tripod leg is in the death spot of the receiver antenna on top of the tripod, and consequently it could work.

About video drop, if you use a dipole antenna on the receiver and pass over you with your plane, the dipole antenna have a death spot over and under it, so perhaps it could explain you lost video at that time.

About video drop, if you use a dipole antenna on the receiver and pass over you with your plane, the dipole antenna have a death spot over and under it, so perhaps it could explain you lost video at that time.

Hummm, possible, I will try it with my patch antenna, and the dipole pointing down, towards the ground. B)

Let me know the results of your flights.

Merci.

The dipole have two death (weak) spots, one above and one under the antenna. Dipole antenna should be straight so when you when you fly around you it work well, but if you fly above your head, you should expect video dropout.

I just come back from the feild. I was able to perfrom two flight test. I forget one cable and was not able to do the retransmission test :(

I test the Range video 500mW "ready to fly" kit at first and my new video goggle FH520 (I-Vision) from Future Hobbies. I installed the Range video receiver on top of the tripod and the video output was plug into the I-Vision power box. I love the FOV of this headset(34 deg), the difference of size with my old I-Glasses(28Deg) is evident, not subtil. But they must be at exactly the good position on my nose or the corner will appear darker.

The weather was not good, thick cover of cloud, no wind, at least it was not raining, but it was cold at -8C with a lot of humidity. All the equipement work flawlesly in the cold weather. Gyrocontrol work very well, also headset and receiver, planes etc, even if everything was very cold, I did not use anything to cover equipement, only receiver battery was in isolated bag.No canopy on the planes, it should be very cold onbard with the wind.

Range video system work perfectly, I fly around me for the first flight and rise to 400ft, I fly in front of me not far, the video link was very strong, I don't remember any video dropout, only if the planes pass above me, I get some. The planes stay level for all the flight. It was the same with AeroPix tx/rx, video was very strong, video dropout are so rare, I don't notice them. I'm so use to see many video dropout with my hand made system, it's evident something was wrong with my setup... :( I think it's the SMA connector welding,

The first landing was perfect, the planes stop near the car. Happy I go to take my planes, and my tripod try to follow me :) It did not make it... I'm not use to be wire :(

The second test was long range flight, I rise to 400-500ft, going in straight line over a feild trying to reach the 2 kilometer target, another road crossing the feild there. At one kilometer (approx.) I pointed the Futabe radio antenna in direction of the planes and make a wide turn, If the radio link is weak, glitch or fail safe will tell me something wrong, but nothing appear, radio and video link was very strong. At 1.5 KM(approx.) again another turn. while turning, I heard the planes locator beeping briefly, so I got a little glitch when two antennas was in line, but nothing serious, video link was still strong, but sometime it became weaker, light snow. Just before my target road, at 1.8km, a lot of snow appear :o 10 houses are on this road, I think a 2.4ghz tx was somewhere around, the signal become very weak while I turned the planes, I got another glitch, but I never lost completly the video, and after few seconds of flying back, video came strong again.

I was not sure if the battery will last long enough in such cold weather... the flight appear like an eternity, finally I land the planes a litle bit to hard, and the cam unglue from the servo, flight was over for today.

I was using one standard 3dbi antenna on the plane and one standard 3dbi on the receiver, no patch antenna and performance was very good.

I done only a couple of flight with Aeropix tx/rx and same thing for Range tx/rx. it's hard to judge, I will really need to do other test, I'm surprise of my result with only 3dbi antenna, I would expect to use my 8dbi patch antenna for long range flight, it's too good to be true. I did not record today flight, perhaps some video dropout was there but I do not remember them...

I hope I will have chance this week to try to retransmit the video to my receiver to see if it work. And try again to reach one kilometer at the feild inside my town, I should have more interference there.

Edited by Vrflyer

Very interesting, thanks for the report :)

I´m really surprised, 1,8km with a 3dBi whip :blink:

Some dropouts are not bad if you have total freedom to fly where you want within a radius of 1,5 kilometer to be safe :o

With a 5-7dbi omnidirectional maybe you´d have the same range that the max of the rc equipment with stock antennas :wacko:

The first landing was perfect, the planes stop near the car. Happy I go to take my planes, and my tripod try to follow me :)

:lol::lol:

Next time I will do loop and roll up to one kilometer to see what kind of video dropout I will get.

I will record the flight, so I will have a better idea.

I hope I will have chance this week to try to retransmit the video to my receiver to see if it work.

VRflyer...I am still curious how you go about setting up the re-transmission of video signal from your down-link receiver under the tripod to a receiver that your goggles are connected to. Can you simply take the RCA output of the down-link rx under the tripod and feed it into the standard video/audio input on a second 2.4ghz tx (different channel) and then receive it with a second rx attached to your goggles?

Thx..

ob1

The dipole have two death (weak) spots, one above and one under the antenna. Dipole antenna should be straight so when you when you fly around you it work well, but if you fly above your head, you should expect video dropout.

... and my tripod try to follow me :) It did not make it... I'm not use to be wire  :(

Yep, you are rigth, most of the time I was right above myself, that's why I was get several video dropouts.

When I used my patch antenna no problem at all, it was pointing straight up.

Wow, 1.8km was a great range.

Were you affraid of loosing your plane?

By the way, put some wheels on your tripod, and it will follow you next time :D

Au revoir

Edited by wilson

Wheel, hum... very good idea :)

No I`m not affraid, I can`t lost it.

Everything is cut in the feild, and I have a loud alarm to help me to find it. My Easystar is old, I can afford to lost it in the worst scenario :(

Yes OB1, it`s simple like you said. I done test at my house, the planes in the house transmitting to the tripod outside the house and retransmitting to my receiver on me, the picture stay clear with no dropout when I walk, without retransmission, I get a lot of video dropout. I`m curious to see in real condition if the receiver on top of the tripod will lost sensivity.

I was able to try the retransmission idea, I mean installing a 2.4ghz receiver on top of tripod and plug the output to the input of 2.4ghz (500mW) transmitter locate between the three legs. I wear a second receiver on me.

The planes was at 0.2km in the air, and the signal received was already very weak, lot of snow in the picture, and severals strong video dropout while returning for landing. I removed the TX between legs, and plug the goggles directly on the receiver output, video was clear with strong signal over half kilometer.

I would like to try with a 10mW TX, I don`t have any, so I will put this project on the side until I found a 10mW TX.

Mr RC-Cam, is it possible (easy) to modify Airwaves 500mW to lower the output power to 10mW?

The best solution would be to retransmit on another frequency, but all receiver on 900Mhz or 1.2 ghz are to big to be wear on the pant belt.

My Easystar is old, I can afford to lost it in the worst scenario :(

You can afford to loose Camera, transmitter, servos, battery, Zlog etc...Wow, it's great when money is not a problem. :)

Poor plane, after it has served you for all those years, now you are just waiting for your plane death to come... :(

Au revoir B)

... is it possible (easy) to modify Airwaves 500mW to lower the output power to 10mW?

Sure. All you need is a microwave RF rated step attenuator. Just set it for about 15dB of insertion loss. Making your own normally requires good RF judgement. However, an easy solution is to install the antenna with 25 feet of RG-174 coax. The coax losses will result in low RF power into the antenna (in this case, 500mW in, less than 20mW out). Beyond that, making your own normally involves stripline PCB layout and carefully placed non-inductive resistors setup as an L-Pad attenuator.

You can afford to loose Camera, transmitter, servos, battery, Zlog etc...Wow, it's great when money is not a problem. :)

Poor plane, after it has served you for all those years, now you are just waiting for your plane death to come... :(

Au revoir B)

Hum, effectively, I will search for long time with all the money inside the planes,