sergio00

Z800 Triple WorldWide price since TODAy

I have the SDK installed, everything compiling (requires the DDK and DirectX SDK - if you use December's you need to change the shaders to 2.0) and am investigating the possibilities. In the least, I'll be able to change the idle timeout. It looks like the EEPROM is mapped, so we can play with settings.

OK, it looks like I can successfully change both the USB and AC timeouts to 500 minutes (~9 hours). With this, we can consider the timeout issue closed. I'll write a quick app that we can use to set the timeouts to the max value (or restore to default of 5/150 minutes respectively).

No, haven't tackled that yet, don't really have the time at the moment. I've simply remounted the thing, and it still works ;)

What I've seen on their forum too is that some gamers were complaining the headtracker was "bad"... :unsure:

I guess that must be insufficient software behind to make it attractive...

OK, it looks like I can successfully change both the USB and AC timeouts to 500 minutes

That's great! It'll be good not to worry about the glasses shutting down in the middle of the flight.

were complaining the headtracker was "bad"...

I haven't seen that, did they mean it was drifting?

Not much detail:

If the Z800 has done anything for this company, it's been to open its eyes as to how unprepared they are to bring an all-around quality product to market. The head tracking is lack-luster, both in accuracy and driver support/capabilities. The audio is laughable, if not painful. Support for stereo 3D is reliant upon a non-partner GPU manufacturer and non-partner graphics engine builders. Heck, even the 'partner' in UbiSoft can't/won't release a solid patch to support universal stereo 3D and head-tracking (where's the Ghost Recon patch we were promised?!?!). Top that off with a flimsy/cheap design (straps are sexy, no really) and you've got yourself a ship-sinker of a product.

If you scour the eMagin website you won't find any talk of the SXGA microdisplay at all. It's doubtful they would venture to build another market flop of a visor utilizing micro-displays which haven't been field tested. IMO they should build the displays and let someone with the know-how bring the consumer product to us. I know I won't be tossing any more money at these guys again.

That one really seemed angry!

Ah well, he can wait a few days, ebay it and make a profit off his disappointing purchase. I'm pretty happy with mine but i haven't tried them out for anything that watching an episode of Stargate Atlantis.

I found as far as focus goes, if you put them so the padded part sits right on your eyebrows then you can put them further away from your eyes which for me allows everything to come into focus at once. Even with them sitting up higher they are semi-ok.

I'm really pleased with the quality of construction on them, its much better than i thought it would be. I'm also really happy with how they fit on my face, from what i've seen of other HMD's it would be impossibly to wear glasses with them on - these however fit on with my glasses just fine. My eyes are very different to each other so looking at the screens its very very difficult without my glasses on.

Edited by Mark Harris

i spent s'more time with the z800. i had a much better experience. i found a positioning that worked for me by i adjusting one eye at a time. my head/eyes aren't symmetrical; left eye is +2; right eye is 0.

i watched some of my favorite FPV movies full screen. i like! i got a little sick near the end though. :(

i think i have to exchange these goggles though. the right display has a prominent and wide black line down the right side of the screen. (simulated image below.) note that there are live pixels to the right of that line. anyone else have this??

the z800 is going to be painful to wear since the arms are too short for me. the pointy ends that should be behind the ear on a normal person are digging into the top of my ears. i have this problem when buying sunglasses.

post-8-1170254295_thumb.jpg

Edited by 4mla1fn

If anyone wants to sell their Z-800's let me know, I wish I had bought 2 pair, one for me and one for my wife to wear while she is flying...

I got my Z-800's yesterday and have been playing with them and they are AWESOME :P The image is huge, bright, and perfect. The glasses have a great range of brightness, from good in the dark to almost needing sunglasses to look at it. I have been flying them on a computer simulator and they are great, the entire screen is in focus, even when reading text. I just finished building the 5 volt regulator and hooked it up to my field system, and the video from the plane looks incredible. I will fly with them tomorrow for the first time, but I already know these Video goggles will be great to fly with.

JetPilot

I will fly with them tomorrow for the first time, but I already know these Video goggles will be great to fly with.

JetPilot

I will fly with them tomorrow for the first time, but I already know these Video goggles will be great to fly with.

Great Make some video of your flight :)

Has anyone tried to use the z800 had tracker with computer game or simulator yet?

It works perfect and flawless with my MFS X. :)

I flew with my Z800's today, and they are AWESOME. The picture ( FOV ) is bigger than everything I have ever flown with, and the video is perfect. The brightness is outstanding, and it was no trouble seeing everything with the glasses even on a sunny day. I have not had a chance to make a visor yet, so it will just get that much better when I close the gaps to the sides. The Z800 is so good for FPV flying, I wish I had bought two of them.

The AVT-3300 is another story though. The size is right and it connects very well to the Z800's and uses the same 5 volts, so that makes power easy. When I turned the system on today, I saw a bunch of lines in my video... There was RF interference getting into my system :( I think it is the AVT-3300 is succeptable to RF interference, but moving some wires and stuff away from my RC transmitter antenna helped. The worst thing about the AVT-3300 is that it will go to a blue screen with enough video glitching or when the signal starts to get weak. The blue screen seems to happen at the worst time, and I managed to scare myself turning base to final low and having the screen turn blue. The picture comes back pretty quick, but when you are flying a tight turn with a fast plane low to the ground, it seems long... I wish I could find something that would pass through static, or whatever weak ass signal was there. Even when the signal is very very weak, having even the shadow of a horizon can be a big help.

JetPilot

I flew with my Z800's today, and they are AWESOME

Thanks for the report. Did you notice any time lag between actual movements and video in the glasses?

The 3300 is the device that has the lowest time in blue screen mode. Severals mates of my air flied has another device to connect the z800 and They and me compared the 3300 and the others and the 3300 Win becouse to change to blue screen the glitch must be very hard. If you see my video when I did the 2Kms test, you will see that when I am 2Km away, the image has a lot of noise,, well, never in all the test the screen changed to blue.

Of course, any device without Blue screen would be better.

The 3300 delay is ( I called to AVtool asking this :) ) "1 frame/seg". ( the human eye work with 24 frames/s so you cant apreciate the delay :) )

Sergio

Edited by sergio00

I flew with my Z800's today, and they are AWESOME.

thanks for the report. glad to see the z800 works well.

The AVT-3300 is another story though...it will go to a blue screen with enough video glitching or when the signal starts to get weak.

one approach may be to try what kilrah mentioned above: video->usb->laptop->svga; e.g. let the pc do the conversion. (i know few want to take a laptop to the field.) it might blue-screen also; dunno. my video->usb should arrive today, so i'll see if this works (ground-based though since it's crappy flying weather). were you using a diversity receiver? if blue-screening is unavoidable, then we all may be in the market for one. crashing on base or final would be a terrible punctuation on a thrilling fpv flight.

Edited by 4mla1fn

There was ZERO lag, it was perfect ! I did fly a bunch of aerobatics also... Both flying and on the computer I could not see any lag at all :lol:

Sergio is correct, it does take a lot of glitching or very weak signal to get the AVT-3300 into blue screen. For most electric planes like Easy Stars, it recovers to video so fast that it will not be a problem. It was only scarey for me because I was flying a large gas model low to the ground. I will still use it, it works great, and does have brightness controls adjustable by DIP switches. I will just be careful and be ready for the blue screen.

I would not use a laptop to convert the video, to much of a pain in the arse to drag out to the field and set up, not to mention another battery to charge, and the possibility of losing the video alltogether. I did not use a diversity receiver, just a standard lawmate with a 14 dBI patch mounted on my bicycle helmet.

Edited by JetPilot

I received my little tablet PC yesterday, sweet little thingy :)

Pretty slow as expected with the 900MHz Celeron M, but still fast enough to capture, display and record in DV with 75% CPU usage using VirtualDub :D

As usual, zero lag and totally dropout-tolerant. Now, there's just a little issue to solve, that is find a software that would display a good live view I could feed to the external monitor. Usual capture software just display a raw interlaced preview which looks horrible on a PC monitor.

I would not use a laptop to convert the video...the possibility of losing the video alltogether.

yep, that's true. just have to make sure the power settings are correct.

btw, i got my ntsc->usb converter. it records well but it lags a bit (link to 1MB video); maybe 0.5sec; the time between the onset/offset of the camera's OSD is about 13 frames. is that usable? what converter are you using kilrah!?

Edited by 4mla1fn

Pinnacle PCTV100e.

From what I know, a delay of 50-100ms should be the maximum not to get motion sickness.

Have you tried running your box with different software than what's provided with it? If I use the one that came with my box I get a 1 sec lag, with free utilities like VirtualDub, VirtualVCR or KTV there's no noticeable lag.

If I use the one that came with my box I get a 1 sec lag, with free utilities like VirtualDub, VirtualVCR or KTV there's no noticeable lag.

thanks. i'll try those apps. hope they'll see the converter.

edit: virtualdub is as laggy as the native app. virtual vcr captures fine, but the real-time window on virtual vcr must be buggy on my machine because it is incredibly pixelated and very delayed so is unusable for at least checking lag. can't find ktv.

Edited by 4mla1fn

http://www.kastortv.org/index.php?langue=eng

Currently having a hard time with it to find a compatible DV codec.

It's the program that will give the best live view as it has a zillion of different rendering methods, including true 50fps deinterlacing filters. Smooth video :)

Edited by Kilrah

I received my little tablet PC yesterday

Does it have built-in video capture, or you are using external capture device?

Edited by cyber-flyer

Does it have built-in video capture, or you are using external capture device?

Using my PCTV100e USB box. Just got to get it working with simultaneous VGA full-screen output and DV recording, but that's VERY short (100% CPU usage, a couple of dropped frames sometimes). The good combination is KTV+Mainconcept DV codec. I tried a few other codecs but they were all at least twice slower...

There's still the lack of vertical sync that will always happen when displaying 25p/50i video on a 60p VGA display and can be a bit disturbing with fast movements, but we have no choice here...

Emagin aren't the only manufacturer of SVGA OLED glasses, I discovered there's also the newest range of I-Visor glasses http://www.personaldisplay.com/content/fmd...md_sub02_01.asp

But finding it to buy is another matter.

Incedentally I er, won bidding on some earlier version I-Visor SVGA res LCD glasses tonight, look similar to Glasstrons, 3D ones with dual inputs on both composite and PC, so it looks like I can have a go at stereoscopic FPV much sooner than I expected :D I have some identical cameras, just need two good transmitters+receivers

Didn't mean to win the bidding, I'm supposed to be saving my money at the moment.

Edited by Haku

Emagin aren't the only manufacturer of SVGA OLED glasses, I discovered there's also the newest range of I-Visor glasses

But finding it to buy is another matter.

Truly speaking I saw the FX601 a month or two before I bought my Z800.

Well, finding it would not be 'The Problem'. B)

The price was the issue. <_<

You can buy the FX601 here.

http://www.vrealities.com/i-visorfx601.html

Now Z800 for the same price found a strong opponent. :ph34r: