sergio00

Z800 Triple WorldWide price since TODAy

I've done a little bit of poking into the tracker of Z800s:

I didn't find serial data stream :(

The most interesting data were coming from the middle (2nd) gold plated pad in the bottom right on Kilrah's picture:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b105/Kilrah/IMU7.jpg

The data on that pad use some sort of amplitude encoded pulse train modulation.

The amplitude of the pulses seem to correspond to the angular position of the sensor. I am not sure if using the data is the best way to interface the sensor as the amplitude get contaminated with noise if one patches in from far down the cable and there is no space in the goggles to place data capture board. I am going to put the project on a backburner for now.

Interestingly enough there is no video data processing done inside the z800 base box - it houses lonely Atmel microprocessor for what looks like USB data interface. Most probably for brightness control and power time-out feature. The tracking device seems to be the most high-tech part of the glasses. Anyone wishing to sell their tracking module drop me a pm - if I collect two or three of them I can justify writing an interface and try putting them inside a UAV plane.

Edited by cyber-flyer

Didn't mean to win the bidding, I'm supposed to be saving my money at the moment.

Yeah I found the same i-visor FX601 too @ $1450.00 a unit... OUCH!!!!

Hey bidding by accident happened to me too "once" and saving the money thing is something I got to do as well. I have a unhappy Japanese wife now :( Ebay can sometimes be a daaaaaangerous place!!!!! :blink:

Edited by JMS

Interesting. Yeah I noticed the very simple hardware. My guess is that the panels directly expect an RGB signal, maybe even with VGA sync. I think it was even stated somewhere on the OEM part of eMagin's website. The Atmel chip must indeed only handle the functions you listed, plus maybe redirecting the signal to the correct panel in stereo mode.

I haven't checked, but logically there should be some sort of USB hub chip too, as they would need to merge the 2 streams from the tracker and the Atmel.

Nothing special though, the VGA output isn't even buffered, brightness will go down if you connect a monitor to it.

The only technologically interesting parts are the tracker and the displays...

I'll keep my sensors, I might be doing something using a embedded PC with USB capability in some time, that could be handy ;)

Yeah I found the same i-visor FX601 too @ $1450.00 a unit... OUCH!!!!

Hey bidding by accident happened to me too "once" and saving the money thing is something I got to do as well. I have a unhappy Japanese wife now :( Ebay can sometimes be a daaaaaangerous place!!!!! :blink:

I got lucky with the I-visor DH-4400VP(D) LCD glasses, £155 (abut $300) but haven't heard back from the seller yet, must chase them up today.

eBay is like a big thug that comes and steals the money from your wallet, I've been using it for 7 years now and it's an unbreakable habit, thankfully the money level of my items sold is mostly higher than my items won :)

eBay is like a big thug that comes and steals the money from your wallet, I've been using it for 7 years now and it's an unbreakable habit, thankfully the money level of my items sold is mostly higher than my items won :)

Agree! And funny comment; also I'm in the same boat as you! :lol:

i think i have to exchange these goggles though...

well, i've shipped my z800 back. they say repairs take 4-6weeks. (!) what a pain.

sort of USB hub chip too, as they would need to merge the 2 streams from the tracker and the Atmel

May be they wrote USB host app on Atmel chip. Or may be the whole issue is much simpler and they use Atmel for USB input (setting parameters) only and the tracker for the USB output only. This makes me wonder if the tracker can produce output without proper USB initialization and somehow be interfaced using very simple method.

Or may be the whole issue is much simpler and they use Atmel for USB input (setting parameters) only and the tracker for the USB output only.

USB uses a single differential pair for bidirectional communications, so that's not really possible. Plus, the USB protocol requires quite some discussion between host and device to connect them.

I might have a go at following the traces that go to the tracker, that puzzles me.

USB uses a single differential pair for bidirectional communications, so that's not really possible.

This tells you how much I know about USB :blink:

well, i've shipped my z800 back. they say repairs take 4-6weeks. (!) what a pain.

Thats to bad about your Z800's, probably an isolated case though. I have used mine quite a bit an they are flawless :D

How did you take the screenshot you posted of the dark line in your Z800's, the quality of that was great...

JettPilot

sorry jett. that is a simulated image; a screen capture with a photoshopped black line.

Edited by 4mla1fn