lvspark

My new ground station

Every time I wanted to fly, my cables for all my equipment were tied in knots! Power supplies and plug strips everywhere, it was a real mess and pain in the rear!

Now, it is much less complicated and all of my parts are protected.

Another Pic of case

It is so simple now, open the case, swing antenna up, and turn on the power switch.

On the front is 12v connectors that I use to charge the case battery (12v 4Ah) it is also nice for plugging in a starter or my triton multi-charger.

ready.JPG

Case is from wal-mart hunting section. I wanted a larger waterproof case, but couldn't locate one around here locally.

Does any one have a line on waterproof/ ruggedized case suppliers?

I like Pelican cases, they can be had in a variety of form factors and they are pretty reasonably priced.

I love Pelican cases!

I used them for tracker boxes for APRS uses, they work great!

Here is my latest Ground Box. An 8 dbi patch antenna is installed in the

lid, 7 AH Gel cell and 2.4 ghz receiver fits inside nicely. Notice the high

tech lid prop, a piece of balsa. :rolleyes:

post-8-1070422691_thumb.jpg

How does that 8db antenna work on the 2.4 gig? Get good results?

Yes, it works great, its circular polarization helps the signal being received

when youre using a dipole antenna on the transmitter because the dipole changes polarity with the plane moving all about, the patch maintains a steady signal. I highly recommend it. B)

http://www.blackwidowav.com/patchantenna1.html

Here is a place I have discovered for cases:

Meco

Here is the Ground Control Station/Van I have been working on. I have my wind generator and ready to weld the mount onto the bumper. Roof rack is ready to go on and will mount the 100 W. PV panel w/ 2 batts.

gcs-112.jpg

gcs-111.jpg

It doubles as a Ham Emergency Vehicle.

Edited by Gideon007

Yes, it works great, its circular polarization helps the signal being received

Is that correct ?

My patch dose not have circular polarization ......

Terry

UK

I am looking for a 7.5" LCD monitor. There are a lot of cheap ones on ebay, mostly from Hong Kong. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Flutter, I have looked a lot at those monitors on ebay. There is someone here close in tampa that distributes them so I really considered trying one. I think it was 110-115.

My biggest suggestion is make sure it is TFT or active matrix and has a decent contrast ratio so you can see it in daylight (probably with a hood). I am planning on picking up a wearable screen from blackwidowav.com sometime real soon here to go along with my new 3 watt transmitter.

Post info if you buy one.

Matt

I will give feedback when I buy a monitor. I need it as a backup to the video glasses. I have tried to use the laptop monitor as a video monitor,but the little delay makes it impossible to use to anything other than viewing. I will use the laptop for GPS display only. I just got my new Garmin Geko 301 and TinyTrakIII and GPS video overlay card are on their way!

Hi Terry

What LCD monitor do you use? I live in Sweden,so I would like to buy a product from within EU due to taxes.

Flutter

Hi Flutter

Its a Centurion unit I picked up cheap from a car spares shop complete with a 12v VCR . They were selling them off to make way for the 'in car' DVD units.

I dont think it maters too much which unit you get as all these TFT monitor for cars need to be veiwable in daylight, but a shade dose help you get the best.

Terry

UK