Sign in to follow this  
BurningBlimp

Patch Tx and Rx Antenna

Hi All,

As my name suggests I'm trawling this fantastic site researching the assembly of a tethered blimp for video using a handycam.

My thinking is this. If my Rx antenna is able to be always pointing up the tether to the balloon, can I use a patch antenna on the Tx always pointing down the tether line?

That way I'll have highly directional antennae always pointing at each other...? So I should have great reception. And potentialy a cheaper and lower powered tx/rx unit.

Also I'll throw this out for general comment...

Seeing as I'll be using a Sony handycam I plan to utilize an RF remote control extender with an external bright eye emitter placed over the IR receiver at the front of the handycam. This will allow zoom as well as record on/off and other functions. Has anyone tried this?

Here is a link to the RF remote control extender I am eyeing off.

RF Remote Control extender

Mart.

My thinking is this. If my Rx antenna is able to be always pointing up the tether to the balloon, can I use a patch antenna on the Tx always pointing down the tether line?

Yes you can but you have to be sure of getting a reasonable alignment of the aerials or it will be worse. Remember a blimp can bounce about a lot in very little wind. As I can get a good video link at 1/4 mile using only 10mW with a standard aerial and a basic patch on the receiver I think you are wasting your time trying.

Seeing as I'll be using a Sony handycam I plan to utilize an RF remote control extender with an external bright eye emitter placed over the IR receiver at the front of the handycam. This will allow zoom as well as record on/off and other functions. Has anyone tried this?

Yes, I made my own but it works well. Mine is to control a camera at the top of my mast. HERE

Terry

Edited by Terry

I've not asked them yet. Not enough hours in the day to get bogged down :)

Terry