JMS

Dual Antenna on a single base!

Hey guys... I just came across this from RCG. I thought it was an interesting find but what is the input from the BIG GUNS here on this idea? A omni directional 8dBi along with a matching patch antenna set up from Taiwan all nicely packaged on a aluminum base.

http://www.wifi-link.com/product.php?actio...product_id=1007

Will it work? <_<

I'd say a 8dB omni is totally useless in our application, you'd better replace that with a "real" omni.

Explanation: http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/re09u.php

Check the vertical beamwidth: You lose all of the gain at 10° off the horizontal plane. Would only be useful if you were to fly at 10m AGL :P

I'm not sure what the advantage is supposed to be :blink: ???

Would only be useful if you were to fly at 10m AGL 

Not quite true but the point is valid. You would only get in to the beam of the omni below 500ft at 1/2 mile, this defeats the point of having an omni.The main worry is that it will pick up any other signal for miles around and most of these will trash your signal with ease. At this point the patch is a much better option so what is the point of the omni ? If you want an omni then it will be for close range and a standard omni rubber type is much better.

The best as talked about in another thread is both these connected to a diversity receiver. Hope this helps :D

Terry

Well it was a thought :rolleyes: If I come across anything interesting I always share it here. If it's a feasible idea, well I guess we a bennifite in improving what we love! Thanks for the input guys! Boy I love this place!!! :D

Edited by JMS

That vertical antenna works by cutting down gain from the top and the bottom. If you fly more than 50 feet high, you will be in its dead zone, which is like having a patch pointed away from your plane :angry:

Also, using a splitter cuts the signal in half from each antenna, so you have lost the benefits of each type of antenna. If you want to use multiple antennas, you MUST use a diversity receiver to get any real benefit from it.

If you dont use a diversity receiver, you are better off using just ONE good antenna.

JettPilot