OK, I did a bit more testing with the all brass sheet luxl aerial I made. I wish I understood how it was supposed to work and then I might do a bit better. I can't give numbers to my testing apart from frequency as I don't have the equipment but I can tell you what I found. Minimum reflected power was at 2766Mhz but oddly output was poor and maximum output was at 2314Mhz but reflected power was high....

I forgot to say that at 2766Mhz it seemed to be radiating circularly but it was hard to be sure as output was very low.

I'm now very confused, any thoughts anyone ?

Terry

Edited by Terry

here are couple more pics showing my male sma connection. Since I was using a pcb reflector, I didn't want to use a conventional screw in four point connector, as I was a little worried that the pcb gap might do something wierd. So I used this connector, clipped the 4 legs, drilled a larg enough hole that it would slip through the pcb and soldered it in place. Then I extended the center pin, using a brass rod of the same dia.

No idea if this had any effect, the solder is pretty thin, thinner than it looks in the pic.

post-2-1172770777_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pictures Lupy. I've never seen blue PCB like you have used, I take it that it is 1.6mm fibreglass ?

Also it would be good if you could do a side by side test in the field with the GPP or simular.

Terry

Edited by Terry

It's 1.5mm, incl the copper

Once i get some decent weather I will. I think it would be interesting to hook up two diff antennas to one of the Diversity boards, aim them the same, and see which antenna is active the most. I would think that would be about the most fair real world comparison. Asuming that both RX's are equal. Could swap them too, just to see.

If the audio, Mono, is set up so that one RX feeds the left, and the the other the right, then as the tape is replayed, it should be easy to tell which side is active. Asuming The diversity switch is stereo, like Mr Rc cam's.

Eagerly awaiting my board

Ken

the problem with FR4 fiberglass pcb mateiral is the huge loss at so hi frequency,

I suggest trying to make the patch using only air is the seperator, then I suspect a much better performance can be achived.

also if you use silver plated material you will see the figures climb !

I suggest trying to make the patch using only air is the seperator, then I suspect a much better performance can be achived.

If you read this thread Thomas you will see I have made mine from brass sheet but I used the same sizes as Lupy used on his PCB version and his is working fine and mine is not. Thats why I wondered if you were interested in building this patch as you have access to the best test gear and may be able to get it working when I am not.

Terry