Sign in to follow this  
Doofer

Head tracker compatibility list

Is anyone out there using an RC-Tech gyrocontrol with a "Multiplex EVO 9" transmitter?

In theory it should work - the EVO has a trainer input you can assign to any channel(s) - but before laying out a wad of Swiss Francs I'd like to know that someone else has found this combination works OK.

(I don't wish to move to Futaba (or any other make of transmitter) unless I have to!)

Perhaps it would be useful if folk want to add to this topic any combination of gear that has worked for them in the 'piggyback a head position signal onto the main uplink transmitter signal' realm?

i have a evo9 also. a similar gyro has been produced and there's been talk about evo support later in this thread; have a look. he plans on testing his gyro with an evo.

Edited by 4mla1fn

Is anyone out there using an RC-Tech gyrocontrol with a "Multiplex EVO 9" transmitter?

In theory it should work - the EVO has a trainer input you can assign to any channel(s) - but before laying out a wad of Swiss Francs I'd like to know that someone else has found this combination works OK.

(I don't wish to move to Futaba (or any other make of transmitter) unless I have to!)

Perhaps it would be useful if folk want to add to this topic any combination of gear that has worked for them in the 'piggyback a head position signal onto the main uplink transmitter signal' realm?

Have you tried to contact Kilrah from RC-Tech?

I believe he will guide you through, he will give you the right answer. :)

Edited by wilson

Kilrah, any information?!

To clarify, the Rc-Groups thread 4mla1fn refers to talks of the EVO 'in theory', specifically that it can only handle Trainer channels 1-5 (I'd have thought I could use 2 free mixes to put e.g. rudder & elevator control onto channels 6&7, and use 2&3 for the gyrocontrol) BUT this still doesn't address the question "Does it work?" - in practice - is someone out there using the RC-Tech or the Aeropix unit with an EVO, and if so, how well does it all work together?

(I'd be happy to try one out, only I'd need to be sure I could return it for a refund if it proves unworkable!)

In theory, that works with an Evo. Practically, as you said you'll already have some trouble as it can only accept trainer input for channels 1-5, which are usually already used by the flight controls. That requires some programming tricks to free up 2 channels for pan/tilt.

Another issue is that apparently Multiplex TXs have a rather "strange" RF design, it seems that quite a good deal of RF energy doesn't go to the antenna as it should do but "pollutes" paths like the power lines and pins on the trainer port. In our tests the gyro could bear with it, but then the conducted noise (I measured half the amplitude that was on the antenna on the power pin in the trainer connector!) that runs through the gyro's cable is enough to disturb other components like the video goggles. We tried putting filters, shielding the cable a maximum but even if it improves the issue a bit the goggles will still suffer picture degradation/blanking depending on the relative placement of the objects. The antenna must be as far as possible to the other elements as well. To show the extent, I ran the gyro on a Cockpit SX Multiplex TX. I placed my camcorder reading a tape on the table, with the TX as far as possible (1.5m) from it. I then tried nearing the gyro that was at the end of the cable from the camcorder. From a distance of ~10cm, the camcorder's screen goes blank :blink:

So, I have a few close people who have tried and are using it with Multiplex TXs and who say that works for them. For some others it didn't. So as I can't guarantee anything as it seems to change with every occurrence and combination, I don't recommend using Multiplex.

Thanks, Kilrah, that's very useful!

Did you try using an opto-isolator at the EVO pin?

No, as the standard setup would involve powering the sensor from the TX anyway. It might be a possibility indeed, but that would require using an additional battery for the sensor if it's in the stand-alone version.