Sign in to follow this  
Doofer

Receiver power supplies

Hi there. I note quite often gear (e.g. receivers) rated at '12v', when you get the back of there's a dropper resistor and a 7805 regulator. Given that 12v is a bit of a pain, I tend to replace resistor & regulator with just a LM2904 low-dropout regulator - so everything can work off 5+ Nicds/NiMHs, 2+Lipos etc. This way, when you finally get to the flying site and find one pack is (surprise surprise) not as fully charged as you thought it was, you can easily use whatever might be in your flight bag.

However, I'm aware that with this microwave stuff there can be a degree of alchemy involved in going from 'okay performance' to 'really good performance'. Is there a good reason why one should stick to 12v in (via resistor + 7805), rather than my 'universal input' approach?

This is fine on the Rx side. I would do it too, but my video monitor needs at least 9V, so a 12V GelCell is good in my app.

I also done that with my 12V receiver before I begin to use Felsweb or Airwaves(5V) receiver. The reason why receiver work on 12V is because all cameras and receiver was at first design for spying. Receiver was normally locate in a truck near by, so 12V is a standard to be use in mobil car or truck. Some receiver work on 5V and manufacturer will add regulator to be able to use it on the standard 12V.

Logically it should not affect the receiver performance when removed. You can leave the regulator there and just add a jumper between the output of the regulator and the DC input connector